#49. Civil War » Steve

Steve paced back and forth in the hospital waiting room. Natasha sat in one of the chairs, watching him. Next to her, Bucky sat with his hat pulled down over his face so no one would recognize him. Sam was outside the hospital on the roof, watching for the threat below.

Steve bit at his fingernails and the skin around them as he nervously waited for someone to come out and give him a report on his fiancée, Sophie. He was expecting the worst, to hear she got some sort of irreversible trauma or worst.

"You have to stop worrying, Steve," Natasha said. "She's going to be fine."

"You weren't there, Nat," Steve said, running his fingers through his hair. "God, I thought she was going to die right then and there."

"But she didn't. She's a fighter, like you Steve."

Steve sighed and covered his face, hoping that he wouldn't start crying.

"In coming, Steve," came Sam's voice over Steve's earpiece. "Unwanted visitor on his way to you guys."

Just as he finished speaking, the elevator doors opened and out stepped Tony Stark. Steve felt his blood begin to boil.

******

Steve had arrived home late at night with Bucky. He didn't know where else to go. He knew he was putting Sophie in danger by wanting to fugitive to their house, but until he and Sam found somewhere else for the three to lay low, the house would have to do.

Steve put a finger over his mouth to tell Bucky to keep quiet as he called up the stairs for Sophie. He seen the light at the top of the stairs come on and his fiancée descended wearing one of Steve's shirts as pajamas. She paused at the last step when she seen Bucky behind Steve.

"Before you say anything," Steve began, trying to figure out how to explain the presence of his runaway best friend to his former S.H.I.E.L.D agent fiancée. "I can explain."

"You don't have to," Sophie said. "I'm not an agent anymore. I'm not required to do anything." She stepped down from the stairs and extended a hand to Bucky. "It's nice to finally meet you. Steve has told me a lot about you."

Bucky awkwardly shoved his hands into his pockets and nodded to Sophie. She smiled kindly at him before turning back to Steve.

"Nat called. What the hell is going on?!" she asked.

"It's a long story that I can't get into right now, but please, Sophie, promise me that if Stark comes to the door, you will not let him in."

"You don't have to worry about that, Capcicle."

Steve reacted quickly, grabbing Sophie around her waist and jumping for his shield to protect them as Bucky kicked over the coffee table to use it as his own shield, just as Tony blasted a hole into the wall with his arc reactor.

Steve looked at Sophie. "Stay low, stay safe. You know where the gun is?"

"Of course I know," Sophie said. "Be careful."

Steve kissed Sophie's forehead before springing into action. Bucky was by his side quickly, fighting against Tony with Steve, both trying to keep Tony from hurting each other and Sophie.

Sophie crawled on the floor, keeping low like Steve said. She ran into the kitchen and pulled the gun from under the kitchen table (the only place the two could think to hide it) before making her way back to the fighting.

Sophie was almost paralyzed with fear when she seen Steve on the ground in front of Tony, his shield discarded across the room and Tony in front of him, charging up his reactor for another shot. Quickly, her S.H.E.I.L.D training kicked in and she jumped to defend Steve, shooting useless bullets at Tony's suit.

"Soph, no!" Steve exclaimed, but it was too late.

A beam went off from Tony's suit. Sophie's eyes widened before everything went black.

******

Steve grabbed the collar of Tony's shirt and shoved him against the wall. Everyone paused to watch him, but they were all too scared to actually make a move.

"You got some nerve coming here," Steve growled. "What, came to make sure you finished her off? Well, I'm sorry. We haven't gotten the report yet."

"Steve, I came to apologize," said Tony.

"I don't wanna hear it. You're lucky I don't kill you right here."

"Steve," Natasha said.

"Not now, Nat."

"Steve Rogers."

Steve turned to see a doctor standing there. He quickly forgot about Tony and raced over to the doctor, his heart beating out of his chest with worry.

The doctor smiled kindly at Steve. "She's fine." Steve let out a sigh of relief as Natasha came to his side and gave him a hug. "She'll have to stay here in hospital for a few weeks and she's still unconscious, but she's going to make it through. Would you like to come see her?"

Steve couldn't move fast enough. The doctor led him to Sophie's room. She lay in a hospital bed, hooked up to an IV. She was deathly pale with bruises on her face and burn marks on her arms from Tony's blast. Her breathing was quicker than usual, but she had an oxygen mask on to keep her breathing.

The doctor left Steve and Sophie alone. Steve sat in the chair next to her bed and took her hand in his. Her hands were warm, not cold like he imagined. Although, he also imagined that the next time he would be holding her hand, she would've been dead.

"Hey baby," Steve whispered, kissing her hand. "I'm so glad you're okay. I thought...I thought you weren't going to make it out of this. But the doctor told me you will. I guess Nat was right, you are a fighter."

She didn't move. Not even a twitch to tell Steve that she could hear him. He tightened his grip on her hand and kissed it again.

"I'm so sorry I dragged you into this war," he said. A lump began to grow in his throat. "I should never have brought Bucky to our place, not when Tony was hot on our trail and...and as mad as he was. I wasn't thinking...not about you anyways. Soph, when you wake up I promise, I'm done with this life. I'm done being Captain America. How am I supposed to protect everyone when I couldn't even protect you? We're gonna go away. Move somewhere off the grid completely. And we'll get married. A small, outdoors wedding, like you always wanted. And we'll start a family."

Steve put his head down on Sophie's stomach, unable to hold back his tears any longer. He let them flow down his cheeks and onto the hospital blanket that was covering her. No matter what the doctors said or what Sophie would try to tell him, this was his fault. He knew it was. He should've been thinking about his fiancée first and not just Bucky.

Suddenly, Steve felt a pressure on his hand. He lifted his head to see that Sophie was tightening her grip on his hand. Steve couldn't help but smile as he quickly stood to kiss Sophie's forehead. She squeezed his hand a bit more.

"I'm right here, Soph," Steve said. "I'll always be right here."