Chapter 4

Tyler

I hardly get to spend time with Daniela before Les whisks her away to the part of the resort reserved for the contestants. Hard to believe but there are actually places in my resort where I'm not allowed to go to, and it's driving me crazy. But it's only for two more weeks, so I don't mind it. At least, I got to put a face to the name.

Daniela Simmons.

I'm not supposed to know anything about the women beyond what they tell me during our "dates" which are anything but spontaneous. But I have it a lot easier than they do, for even their personal phones have been confiscated for the duration of the show. Instead, they've been given phones courtesy of the production company but all calls and texts are monitored.

It's five weeks of prison, if you ask me, although I'm exempted from having my phone taken away because I have a resort to run. Even with Archer onsite, sometimes there are decisions that require my approval—like whether it's okay to kick everyone out of the pool area because the show is shooting a scene. If I'd known it was this crazy, I would have said no. But Mitch and his non-profit need to raise awareness about the needs of the Nepali people and so I signed on the dotted line.

As Sean's radio squawks about more crew required in Gazebo 2 because Daniela is about to meet the remaining contestants, I can't help but feel sorry for Daniela right now, for she's about to step into the world of reality TV drama and love connections—where nothing is real, and everything anyone says or does is editable.

* * *

Four hours later, I meet Daniela on the main balcony overlooking the ocean. After such a busy day, I'm glad to see her still smiling and not looking the least bit tired.

Up close, the first thing I notice about Daniela are her big green eyes. They're dazzling. And she's also got the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. She's tied her long brown hair in a pony tail, and a few loose strands frame her oval face.

"I'm so sorry I'm a week late—"

"You better," I say, crossing my arms in front of me. "You kept me waiting all this time."

She stares at me for a moment before she realizes I'm joking. I can't believe I'm flirting with her but I am.

"Honestly, I don't mind that you're late," I continue. "I'm happy you're here and I hope you enjoy your stay at the Aida."

"Why the name, Aida?"

I shrug. "My mother picked it out."

"Do you always do what your mother says?" she asks, raising her eyebrow knowingly. "Like naming resorts and not climbing Mount Everest?"

I have to stop and stare at her before the expression on her face gives her away, and we both chuckle. "Just those two instances. Oh, and to always wear clean underwear."

For a few moments we don't talk, though Daniela is watching me carefully. I know she's waiting for the question everyone probably ends up asking her and I decide not to beat around the bush. "How did you become paraplegic?"

"I bet you've been dying to ask that."

"Not dying exactly, but it's okay if you don't want to answer—"

"I got hit by a drunk driver three years ago. I was in a coma for two weeks and when I woke up, I learned I was a paraplegic."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Don't be. It could have been worse; I could have died, but as it is, I just don't have use of my legs. If you really want to get more detailed, I have what you'd call incomplete paraplegia where I don't have any motor function in my legs, but I have some sensation. I can feel pain, pressure and temperature. But I can still do a lot of things even though I've had to learn how to do them differently," she says, smiling. "I drive a car, go on hikes with my sister with that big wheel addition, and I swim."

"Swim?"

"I swim laps three times a week."

I can't help but look at her, allowing myself to get lost in her green eyes—until I remember that the cameras are rolling. "We have quite a few pools here."

"I noticed. But then you have the ocean out there, too, which is probably bigger than all your pools combined," she says playfully. "I saw that your resort offers water sports for the guests, like kayaking, parasailing, and snorkeling."

"Yes, we do. And if you like snorkeling, we even have something better."

"Is that on the agenda for tomorrow?" she asks excitedly and I see Les frown as he stands off-camera.

In Daniela's case, I honestly have no idea. Les handles all their activities and I only join them on a one-on-one basis. I'm supposed to be the prize, after all, the specimen kept under glass. But Les never indicated any activities for Daniela. Being with her is not on the agenda for the next two days because the schedule has already been set for me to spend with the four remaining women—mainly, Bianca and Camille.

Until this morning, I'd been willing to go along with whomever the production chooses, but that was before Daniela wheeled herself onto my dock. I actually like her, and I want to get to know her more until the last day of filming in two weeks.

Maybe even longer.