Chapter 5

Daniela

I hate to admit it, but I like Tyler. He is not just handsome; he's funny and smart. But then he has to be smart to build a company from scratch and get it to be as big as it is although he tells me that it's really a family company more than anything. He claims that he only made it onto the celebrity radar after he almost perished climbing Annapurna and an avalanche hit his climbing team, killing two of his companions. When a photo of him recuperating at base camp was posted on social media, all of a sudden, everyone wanted to know who 'the hunk' was and the notes poured in from all over the world, some of them even marriage proposals.

He also has rock hard abs to die for, and if only the production didn't monitor all our calls and text messages, how I wish I could text Tiffany about how much better he looks in person. But I can't, so I have to keep those facts about Tyler to myself until I return home.

I just hope I return home with a tan because if Les had his way, there is nothing much for me to do but socialize with the girls. He didn't think I could hear him talking with someone from the main office the moment he ended our interview, but I heard enough to know that I'm only here for a few days before Tyler sends me packing.

She's in a wheelchair, for crying out loud, Les had said. I would have taken an ugly girl any day as the Wild Card, but one in a wheelchair? Even the crew is nervous and now we don't know what to do with our plans for zip-lining and everything else. We'll have the disabled community up in arms if we let her go that quickly but we have to. What if she flips over on the trail? You know what? I'm telling Tyler he's got no choice but to send Miss Simmons home instead of Marilyn.

Marilyn would be the girl with the cropped hair who reminds me of Tinker Bell every time I see her. She's also pretty funny. While the other three women—Bianca, Camille, and Presley—mainly stuck together throughout our first meeting in Gazebo 2, Marilyn sat right next to me and seemed genuinely interested to learn more about me. She told me that she got to do a lot of things since arriving at the Aida, like snorkel, parasail, and kayak.

If Les wasn't about to let me have a little bit of fun on this trip, then I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask Tyler himself. I can still remember the frown that crossed his face when I asked, but he assured me that he'd see to it that I'd get to do whatever I wanted.

And so far, I have.

Yesterday, the day after I arrived at the Aida, Tyler took me on an early morning helicopter ride over the Pitons, before heading to a nearby resort for kayaking and snorkeling. Kayaking along the weathered volcanic cliffs, I got to see the Pitons from the water, both activities with the camera crew tagging along.

Where the cameras couldn't go was when we went snorkeling in the afternoon.  Tyler held my hand the entire time, guiding me underwater to view the coral reefs and swim among the colorful tropical fish.  Afterward, we sped above the water in an inflatable towable banana called a Flyfish. I'd never laughed so hard in my life as I lay on my belly, clinging to the straps for dear life, and I suspect, Tyler did as well for he seemed hoarse by the time we went on our only dinner date that evening.

When Les showed up after dessert to remind him that he still had a "date" with Bianca, I excused myself. Les brushed me off with barely a glance before the whole crew led Tyler to his next date, but I was too tired—and too sunburnt—to care.

When I spotted Marilyn sneaking a cigarette behind one of the planters, she offered to walk with me back to our suites. Turns out, she's right next door to me.

"I think Tyler likes you."

"Why do you say that? I just arrived yesterday."

"It's the way he looks at you," Marilyn said as we paused in front of my door and I fished out my key card from my shorts. "He's never looked at any one of the girls like that before. And I've never heard him laugh like he does around you."

"If you're worried that—"

"I'm not, though the other girls are."

"They don't have to be. Tyler will be sending me home two nights from now."

Marilyn frowned. "How do you know that?"

"I overheard Les talking to some studio bigwig and they're sending me home in two days."

"But that's not fair, Daniela. Is it because you're in a wheelchair because we can totally contact some lawyer—"

"Whether it is or it isn't, does it matter? I'm the Wild Card, remember? But the thing is, I never entered. My sister, Tiffany, entered my name, so it's no loss to me. I never even knew who Tyler was until after I won." I touched her arm, hoping to calm her. "But guess what? I've had the best time of my life so far. Look at me, I can barely keep my eyes open."

"But it's still not right," Marilyn said, opening the door for me. "If they do send you home because of your disability, that's discrimination."

"And if they have me stay longer because I'm disabled, it's just them being PC and trying to appease the disabled community. But I don't want anyone's pity. I was fine being disabled before I got here and I'll be fine after," I said as I pick up the bottle of aloe vera gel from the bedside table

"If anyone cares to hear my opinion, I don't regret that the computer picked you. You're pretty amazing, Dani."

"Thanks. And you are, too," I said, grinning as Marilyn took the bottle from my hand and began rubbing the gel all over my shoulders and back.

* * *

Today, Tyler ignored his schedule and spent the day with me. We went zip-lining through the rainforest, with him right behind me the entire time. I loved the feel of the wind against my face and the sound of our laughter echoing through the trees. Afterward, he took me to a former sugar mill where we ate cassava pies and he insisted on buying batik dresses for me, Tiffany, and my Mom.

Tonight, while packing my bags, a feeling of sadness hits me, realizing how right my sister was. Whether I snagged myself a billionaire or not, I just had the time of my life.

Tomorrow, there are no outdoor events planned. We're all supposed to hang around in one of the two gazebos assigned to us and go into the "blue room" where we confess our feelings in front of some camera. When it's my turn, I don't really know what to say other than I've had such a great time and that I can't wait to get back home.

"Being picked as the Wild Card is such a huge blessing, and I couldn't be happier," I say out loud to myself, although I keep my feelings about Tyler to myself.

For even though I do like Tyler Drake, I also have to protect my heart. So I tell myself that I'm here on an all-expenses paid vacation, and now, I'm ready to go home.