Chapter Seven

Word count: 1729

~Mara

"You know, now I'm never going to find my mate," I mutter, digging the seeds out of my watermelon slice. Kace looks up from his breakfast with surprise.

He sets his coffee mug down, and glares at me pointedly.

"Mates don't exist," he tells me shrewdly. I sigh inwardly. We don't break eye contact as I cut a chunk of watermelon, and shove it in my mouth. He doesn't say a word as I chew.

"Yes they do," I inform him, once I've swallowed the fruit. He coughs, leaning back in his chair. This is the first time we have talked all morning. I'm just finishing my breakfast, while he is finishing his coffee. Coen is in the other room, eating his breakfast with the other guards.

"How can you be so sure?" He questions me. He sounds quite curious, while takes me by surprise.

I push my plate away. "True love exists..."

"True love is a joke," he mumbles grumpily.

"Just because your true love tried to kill you, doesn't mean it doesn't exist," I snap. He flinches, narrowing his eyes. Oh..I probably shouldn't have said that.

He stands, his muscles tightening. I'm trying so hard to not appear intimidated by him right now.

"I don't believe in some bitch who lives in the sky," he retorts. I suddenly don't regret anything I have ever said to him.

"The Moon Goddess is no such word," I tell him viciously. "She will punish you."

Kace raises his eyebrows. "Oh, kinky."

Pushing my chair back, I rush at him. He catches my arms before I can even truly lay a punch on him. The amused look on his face angers me more than anything. I rip my arms away from him, and stumble back.

"Let me hurt you," I growl at him. He shakes his head in wonder.

"I see you like it rough. Me too," he laughs lightly. My face turns bright red, in both anger and embarrassment. Why is everyone in this stupid place so dirty? I can't stand anyone of them.

Suddenly I feel a hand on my arm. I spin around to see Coen looking down at me with gentle eyes.

"Take her away," Kace mutters to him. Against my will, Coen drags me out of the room. I hate being told what to do, and the power everyone seems to have over me here is disgusting.

He lets me go when we are out in the hallway, letting me brush myself off. He even has the curtesy to allow me to catch my breath before I punch someone. This is how I know I'm mad...Because I knew never to resort to violence.

"Kaden wants to see you," Coen says after a few minutes silence. I roll my eyes. He is the last person I want to see right now, but after last night, I have no choice but to follow every command he gives.

Coen and I walk, myself following him more. This place will be my home for the rest of my life, but I still don't know the ins and outs of it yet. It's probably because every hallway looks exactly the same.

I'm lead into a room. It's small, and the floor is concrete. Nothing could be worse then that. As I wander in, Coen closes the door behind me, not following me in. This makes me sigh.

A seat lingers in the middle of the room, so I go and take a seat. It takes twelve minutes-I was counting painfully-before Kaden wanders in casually.

He's wearing his hood again, which makes me narrow my eyes. Don't tell me he is going to try hide the fact that I saw his face last night. It's something I can't ever forget.