Chapter Forty-One: A Dance Closer To Death

"The grand duchess' daughter, Catalina."

For a moment, there was only silence.

A few heartbeats after Queen Titania announced the name of Glen's future fiancée, hundreds of girls and women alike slumped with disappointment.

"It should have been me." A chorus of petty whining clouded the air, while applause filled the grand ballroom as the crowds parted.

Diandre craned his head to get a look at the faerie that was approaching, along with every other curious guest on the dance floor. I couldn't bring myself to look up. All I felt was numb as a gorgeous girl drifted through the masses of creatures in attendance, wearing a breathtaking smile.

The duchess' daughter of Summer Court was lean and thin with dark, toffee skin that complimented her kind, brown eyes. She carried herself with unwavering elegance as her gown of golden beads trailed across the marble floor. Her wings gracefully fluttered from her delicate shoulder blades, surrounded by thick curls of Raven hair. Even her teeth were bright and shining as she waved to the cheering guests. I glanced over at the girl's family, who were grinning proudly as they held each other with moist eyes.

Catalina. She will make a good queen someday.

The entire realm seemed to hold their breath as the duchess' daughter approached the prince. Her posture was intelligent, her dimples friendly and approachable. Queen Titania had chosen well.

Catalina curtsied to Glen, her dress and bracelets trickling in rivulets of gold and wealth. I watched as Glen bowed back to her, dipping down to swiftly kiss her hand. The crowds went into an admiring frenzy, chattering gently about how beautiful the couple looked together. A part of me agreed. Another part of me, selfish depths in my soul, felt splintered into pieces.

"It's a pleasure to see you again, Catalina." Glen greeted the duchess' daughter with a dashing smile.

Catalina blushed flawlessly, her eyes sparkling. "Likewise, your highness. I'm honored to be your partner for tonight."

A chord stuck in my heart, wrenching it so painfully that I rested my hand on my collarbone. I found that these words hurt more than the killing curse itself. Ugly emotions churned inside me as I hovered among the hundreds of faceless people. Heartbreak might kill me faster than any curse ever could.

I'm his partner. I always have been.

Queen Titania stood atop the balcony of the staircase, shooting me a triumphant, wicked smirk. She knew that she was winning. Lifting a single finger, the summer queen cued the band to begin playing. Every head in the crowd turned towards the musicians as they performed a flowing, romantic piece that seemed to soar into my ears. Offering his arm, Glen led Catalina into the center of the dance floor. More excited people began to gather outside the palace. Young children pressed their faces against the wide windows of the ballroom, eager to peer inside at the dance of the night. The entire realm was here to witness the first dance of Summer Court's future rulers.

The duchess' daughter placed her hand on Glen's shoulder, and he laced his arm around her waist as the melody lulled them into an intricate dance. No one could take their eyes off the couple as Glen and Catalina began to sway, their gazes not leaving each other. Locked in each other's eyes, Glen twirled Catalina in a slow, entrancing circle. Her gold gown plumed around her body as she spun back into his arms. The music mesmerized the onlookers as Glen and Catalina turned and stepped in perfect synchronization, their bodies flowing together like pieces of clockwork. They were undeniably stunning; I felt acid climbing in my throat just watching them. The song built up faster and faster until the couple was a blur of gossamer wings and golden riches as Glen took Catalina in his arms and dipped her down towards the dance floor.