Chapter 1

"I'm sorry but we're just not looking for a woman of your expertise..."
Aaliyah stared at the man with an bulging gut and thick black glasses in disbelief. She had all the requires and more and they still won't hire her? She couldn't even phantom why. Getting an job these days seemed like running a 2k marathon with no legs. Impossible.

"What?" Blinking plainly, Aaliyah rose an eyebrow with her question, baffled at the idea of no, especially with an resume as exemplary as hers.

"We can't hire you Ms. Pinkston, very sorry. Kindly be on your way. Best of luck to you. "

Aaliyah watched as he pushed the com button and asked his secretary to call in the next potential hire.

"Send in the next one Marcy. Thank you for coming." The man stood up and out stretched his hand for an goodbye hand shake. Aaliyah looked at his calloused fingers, wondering how the hell they got so rough when he works behind a desk.

Disregarding the handshake, she walked towards the door.

"Very sorry again."

Scoffing at the words, Aaliyah made sure the door didn't hit her on the way out.

Aaliyah once again found herself on the hunt for a job. She sat in the booth of the New York downtown coffee shop Green Eggs & Ham, staring out of the window in despair she took a sip of her mocha cappuccino, wincing at the 7 dollar cup with only an 2 dollar taste she put it down with attitude. Everything seemed so blue. Her life at this moment seemed full of tragic endings. Another day down on her luck.
How was she gonna pay her college loans if she didn't even have a job? Maybe she should've jumped right in the work force. Aaliyah blinked hard and let out a deep sigh,
"There's no time for a pity party now. Just have to try again tomorrow."Aaliyah thought inwardly.
She observed the waitress put down her turkey croissant and thanked her. As she watched her walk away, Aaliyah couldn't believe who she saw in the distance, she made a double take that for sure would make her neck ache later.
Business mogul Iain Pliegue, successor of Pliegue Industries and the front-page man of almost every business magazine, walked right through the front door.
He was everything she imagined he would be in person. Staring head to toe, Aaliyah was in awe. His hair was slick back, black as a raven. His eyes were piercing blue, they reminded her of the Tawny Owl she saw on Animal Planet the other day. Cold, enticing, mysterious and intimidating were their look. His suit was pressed sharp like it just came off the mannequin. Aaliyah pulled her eyes away before her vision glided to his shoes, she was obsessing. Bad.

"Screw it." She muttered.

Taking a sip of her coffee she stood up, ready to introduce herself to the godly handsome man and possibly go home with him. What are the odds he would come here? She had to try, out of the everything that happened today the tables had to be turning in her favor with this blindside of an event.
Aaliyah stood up, flattened her pencil skirt and rubbed her teeth for any lipstick that may have been there. Putting on a million dollar smile she walked to his table, ready to be either extremely lucky or majorly disappointed. Suddenly, as Aaliyah came midstride a woman came to sit in the chair across from him, Aaliyah quickly diverted her direction and sat at a table behind them. Back to back with Iain she had a front row seat to the whole conversation.

"How could I be so stupid, of course a man as handsome as he, is taken! Thank god he didn't see me" Aaliyah thought in a frenzy.

"So how's the search for a new secretary going CEO?", The woman put extra emphasis at the end. Seemingly mocking lightheartedly.

Aaliyah, unintentionally or...intentionally...eavesdropping leaned back to hear better.

"Stressful enough without your sarcasm Lil. Now that my darling sister moved on it's been a wreck. No one seems to be good enough. I had a guy come in the other day with an internship at some real estate gig.", Iain took a sip of his coffee and let out an exasperated sigh. "That's just not what I'm looking for right now. Interests has changed."

Aaliyah couldn't believe it. Going to flirt her worries away she found a possible job. Standing up inconspicuously, she walked back to her table, dropping the money owed she picked up her coat and drove to Pliegue Industries for a chance at a job. Passing by Iain's table, Aaliyah made accidental eye contact with the woman she assumed to be his date.

Once arrived, she saw a lot of people waiting.
Walking to sit next to a woman flipping vigorously through a black binder she had, Aaliyah asked casually "What's going on?", Everyone seemed on edge. Rightfully so she supposed.

Pausing mid flip, the woman glanced at Aaliyah in a daze before continuing to fumble with the papers. 

"We're waiting for Mr. Pliegue to get back from his break or some shit like that. Everyone is jumping at the chance to be his personal assistant, it's the talk of the multiple cities. Every blog has been posting about his inquiry non-stop. I have to get this, I traveled all the way from Boston.",

"Oh. That's great. ", Aaliyah said not so enthusiastically. Everyone is aiming to get this job, why on earth would he choose her? The girl next to her is from Boston and had a whole binder of credentials. She unintentionally walked into a crap shoot. Shit.

45 minutes later Aaliyah saw Iain walk out of the elevator, through the waiting area and into his office. Connecting eyes, Aaliyah offered a small smile, showing a small amount of teeth. The confidence she had almost an hour ago, suddenly was no where to be found. His striking eyes made her feel so malleable.

A few seconds later, the office door opened.
"You", a woman with red hair and bow clips in her hair pointed to Aaliyah.
"Excuse me?", Confused, she touched her index finger to her chest.

The woman nodded matter-a-factly.  "You. Mr. Pliegue wants to interview you next.",
Getting up slow, Aaliyah made her way to Iain's office. Passing by the candidates, she received various dirty looks.
Hearing mass complaints behind her she kept her back straight and ignored what was spewing. Her mind had to be right for this.
Aaliyah opened the door and saw Iain looking down at some files so she knocked, causing him to look up.

"Ah yes. Come in, please sit.", Iain rose and pulled out Aaliyah's chair directly across from his desk.

Aaliyah did as she was told, feeling strangely warm about him pulling her chair.

'What a gentleman' she thought quietly.

"I hope Ginger made a good acquaintance with you. So tell me......." Iain drifted off, looking for some notes as he rounded his desk, getting ready to sit back down.

"Aaliyah, Aaliyah Pinkston", Aaliyah said handing Mr. Pliegue her résumé.

"Ah, just wanted I needed Aaliyah...why do you want the job?", Iain asked taking a once over of her files and certifications.

'Because I need a job?' Aaliyah thought.

"I want the job Mr. Pliegue because I know that I am more than capable of filling the position, I listen, I'm good at paperwork and managing files. I would be the perfect personal assistant, I even have work experience in the field. I also have a degree in Business and Administration as you see there under my qualifications. For awhile I also worked in Director Operations, managing payroll and business taxes. ",

After Aaliyah's reasoning, Iain looked up at her and stared for a good 30 seconds, making Aaliyah a little uneasy.

"Okay, it's settled then. You have the job."

"Fly me to the fucking moon." Aaliyah thought with exclaim.