Chapter Four

Marley

 I brush my fingertips across my forehead and stare at the blood on my fingertips. Some is dried and caked into the roots of my blonde hair.

There has to be a reasonable explanation to this, like I have no idea because I'm panicking. How do I not remember getting smacked in the head, especially this bad?

Where's Sarah? She'll know what's happening, she always does. I race outside and sprint across the oval. My heart hammers in my chest and thighs burn because I never run, even for food.

There's a large gathering on the oval that's beginning to drift towards the school. I scan the people as I race past them, but none of them are Sarah or Josh. I reach the edge of the oval and spin around.

There's nobody left, so I race back to the school and into the food court. Instead of teens hurrying to their next class, the room is filled with sobbing students. I coil my arms around my torso as I move between students.

Why is everyone crying? Is it about me? Am I really dead?

I stand on my tippy toes and crane my neck so I can search the room easier. On the fourth table, I spot Sarah's chocolate brown hair. Her face is pressed against Josh's chest and his hands are tightly wound around her body.

Somebody walks straight through me and I sob. I'm the dead person everyone's crying about. Tears trickle down Sarah's cheek and I want to pull her into a tight hug and tell her I'm right here, but I can't.

A few minutes pass and the students muttering increases. The group of boys standing next to me seems more concerned about a football game happening on the weekend rather than the tragedy unfolding.

The PA crackles which silences everyone's whispering.

"We understand this is a hard time for everyone, but can you please proceed to your next class so that teachers can make arrangements."

Some people groan but everyone filters out of the cafeteria. I move closer to Josh and Sarah, which only breaks my heart.

If possible, Sarah curls even more into Josh's chest. He kisses her forehead and smooths her wild chocolate brown hair down. Sarah's eyes are pink and her cheeks pale.

"Marley's a tough girl, she'll make it through this." He rubs her back and she nods.

"She was so pale and the blood." Sarah sobs. "There was so much blood."

"Are you ready to see the nurse?"

"Okay." Sarah nods.

Josh slides out of the booth and Sarah follows. She dries her tears on her burgundy cardigan and wraps herself around Josh's arm. He guides her into the hallway but I can't seem to follow them. I can't watch Sarah fall apart.

I gingerly touch my forehead and this time, there's no blood but something soft. I wander into the hallway and look around.

There's people leaning against the lockers crying, which is weird. I've never spoken to half of these people and they're crying over me?

I stand in front of the bathroom door and reach out. My fingertip slides down the door, so I push it and enter the bathroom. Perhaps I'm not dead? I'd remember dying, right?

My stomach knots as I stand in front of the mirror. There's a bandaged wrapped around my head which is an improvement to the caked blood.

I'm a ghost which is an improvement to assuming I was dead. I still need answers but I don't know where to find those. Sarah isn't talking and I can't see my parents. I would die of heartbreak if I had to see my parents crying.

Trent is my only option and I almost scared him to death. 

* * * * *