Delivery Boy

‘There are three levels to this prison. Each level comes with seven divided areas.’ Valex explained as he rolled a large map out onto the table and pointed in the middle ‘You and I are here, in the middle level.’ Suna’s eyes flicked to the place his finger is pointed. ‘The level we are on is for guards, cooks and workers.’ He pointed to were each are, ‘In this prison we have over seventeen thousand guards, fourteen hundred workers and seven cooks.’

Seven?’ Suna repeated shocked ‘Only seven?’

‘Yes. The leader is picky about his food and he thinks that the more cooks there is the higher the chance of him getting poisoned. However not all the cooks are his; four of them are for the guards and two for the workers. He has only one that cooks for him.’

‘Beside us here and here are more guards, however these guards are beginners and are still being trained. They are the ones we call upon when we are desperate; most of them are only young, in their late teens at most. We call them first years, weird I know but that is what they are.’ Valex took a deep breath and continued,

‘We have five different types of guards. The first years that are still being trained. The second years are the group above them, most of them are in there mid twenties and they keep an eye on the workers, make sure none of them are trying to escape, that kind deal. They often are the ones in control of bossing around and training the first years. They are the ones we share this part of the prison with. The others are in the far end of the hall here,’ he pointed to a large hexagon shaped room with three exits

‘These hallways lead to different parts of the prison. The first to the wash room, the second to the kitchen, that hallway comes all the way down to where we are, we are suppose to all feed together in the dining hall connected, which; by the way, is that big hexagon. But because I am a specialist solider I dine with the clan leader in a small room just off to the side, very few are given the honour to enter.’

‘Wait, what do you mean you’re a ‘specialist solider’?’ Suna rolled the words off her tongue slowly, extending them long.

‘Exactly that,’ Valex could feel Suna’s eyes on him and sighed, ‘I am a specialist solider because when they first started training men, they fought to the death. Ones that weren’t worthy didn’t make it through. I was in the first group of men to ever been trained here and one of the very few that are still living under his command.’ He faced Suna and went on,

‘When this whole thing first started, I was given a choice, die; like all my men around me, or fight his men. I was weak, young and afraid of dying so I chose, what I thought at the time, to be the easiest way out and promised to fight his men; in return I was shoved in what was barely classed as a room and beaten into unconsciousness. The system he runs here is ruthless. If you are not good enough then you will not live, it’s as simple as that,’ Valex grinned slightly at the blank expression Suna was giving him, ‘However it is also very raw, he is extremely inexperienced. Our ‘Leader’ runs purely on the lust of power and that will be his downfall, this I know.’

Suna nodded as she processed the information Valex had just given her.

‘Because of this need for power, he will continue to attack, he will continue to destroy and he will continue to attempt to rule this realm.’ His voice was thick with hate, ‘This is how I know we can destroy him. We can destroy him from the inside out. With you by my side, we can finally be free of this place, finally return home!’ Suna heard him barely whisper, ‘or to what’s left of it.’

Just as Suna opened her mouth to queston him on what he meant a loud thumping knock slapped the door. Someone was here. Valex’s eyes grew close to the size of the moon and he pointed to the bed instructing Suna to get back into it.