Chapter Forty-One

A/N: Never mind! This wasn't Cami's party, but I thought it would kill the mood if I jumped straight from a moment into a full-on party.

I hope you enjoyed nonetheless! Thank you as always for reading, and I can't believe that we're reaching 30 K reads. I love the support that this story is getting, so thank you sooo much!

-xoxo, Sophia

••••

I have been thrown outside. It turns out that Emma'd forgotten that it was my birthday as well and that she's improvising something for me at the last minute. Sneaky little biatch.

I mean seriously? She made me feel all guilty about forgetting while she had as well!

Anyway, I've been exiled from the luxurious comforts of the cabin to the threatening outside world, and the planks of the wooden stairs lightly protest under me as I descend. Did I forget to mention the bodyguard?

Yes, you heard me right: Asher has decided to be an even bigger pain in the arse and has assigned me some werewolf to breathe down my neck and to make sure that I don't get kidnapped while he's gone.

It would be a pity to be kidnapped and killed right before my eighteenth birthday party right? At least, that's what Jack threw in when I was about to protest. The only one I thought was on my side for this one... isn't.

"You can go you know?" I say casually to the bulky man besides me. He just looks at me, shakes his head, and continues to stare right ahead.

-Alpha's orders."

Of course, the same thing he's been saying for the past half hour. An idea suddenly comes to my mind; the most cliche idea by the way.

"I have to pee!" He glances at me.

-There's a bush over there." He nods towards the outline of the trees and I stab him multiple times with an extra pointy butcher's knife - mentally of course.

"You're so funny, in fact; I think I need to be alone to laugh at your joke for let's say - forever."

-Alpha's orders.

-Oh for God's sake!" I throw my hands up and pace around, probably looking like a crazy lunatic while Mr. Bodyguard over there just stands still like a mountain, arms crossed defiantly over his chest.

The sun leaves feather-like warm kisses on my skin, and I throw my head back, willing myself to close my eyes for just a little while, to forget the chaos of the world that I live in. That moment is short-lived however, because I build in all of the anger and agitation from the past events and put myself right in front of the annoyingly loyal werewolf, fisting his shirt in my hand and bringing his face abruptly down in front of mine with surprising strength.

He's caught off guard, but then returns to the calm and collected stone facade with an expressionless look.

"Listen to me little man, and listen very carefully." I whisper dangerously, looking at him straight in the eyes. "I respect your loyalty for you Alpha, but honestly, you're talking to your future Luna right now, so if you don't obey my orders, I'll make sure that you end up at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean, understand?"

For a moment, there's a total silence, but then a wolf whistle sounds a distance away and I let go of his shirt, straightening up with satisfaction at the sight of his dumbfounded face. "Run along now." I gesture with my hand, and without another word, he hurries away into the forest. I turn around, ready to explode once again, but then I spot Damien sitting calmly by the edge of the glistening water of the peaceful lake. The leaves from the sleeping trees cast dim shadows on the water, but its crystalline surface sparkles like an infinity of diamonds in the morning sun. Spring rests sound asleep in nature's embrace, and I give myself the liberty to take it all in.