Chapter 55

It's almost over. There wasn't much left for me to get through and I can honestly say that I didn't think the end of the year would turn out to be like this. Well, not entirely.

I wanted to start and think about all the changes that have happened for me since the day being the water boy turned into the best and worst days of my life.

Don't make yourself feel helpless again. You're happy now.

This is a good for me, promise.

Fine, don't listen to me.

That won't be a problem.

In a way, if this didn't happen to me then where I am now would be different. I was able to learn from this experience, even though it was an awful one. I was stronger than what was said and thought about me, and I had a support system helping me through this because I would have never pushed myself as much as I had if I was alone. I felt alone almost all of the time until I was able to let people in. That led to where I was right now. Right now I was happy.

See? Good.

Yeah, yeah.

One thing I knew by the end of this year was the amount of stress that I felt about what the next step of my life was going to be. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted out of life now because of everything I wanted before has now been achieved. What did I want to be when I become an adult? Who do I want to be? My answer for now was that I'm Niall Horan, a former water boy whose boyfriend was the former star player of the school's football team, I was bullied, and I'm still trying to figure out all the rest.

Most of my time in school I focused more on my daydreams of being on the team and getting to be with Harry. I didn't live my dream of being apart of the team until the season was actually over, not that I feel like I'm really involved in the brotherhood they share but at least the bullying towards me has subsided from what it used to be. Obviously, what happened with Harry is one of my dreams coming true.

We're both at the same point in our lives, though he was able to admit it before I was. I knew he was feeling lost since his future is no longer leading him towards playing football professionally. At least he had somewhat of an idea once upon of time of where he wanted to end up. Maybe we could help each other figure out where our lives were going separately.

I never knew growing up was going to be so difficult.

Now, I had to let both Harry and my mum know where I was at. I was lost all over again but I would work things out in time. I just needed a little bit more time.

"Another study break?" My mum asked me as I walked into the front room where she was having her lunch.

I nodded my head and let out a sigh as I seated myself lazily on the sofa across from her. Then I rubbed at my eyes with the bottom of my palms, letting out a yawn. I didn't know how many more hours I could spend going over coursework anymore. It was exhausting.

"You'll do great tomorrow." My mum told me as she took another bite from her sandwich. "You'll be accepting your diploma before you know it!" She sent me a smile and I could tell just how proud of me she was in that moment. I hoped she'd still be proud of I told her I had no idea about going to university after this summer. 

"Yeah," I agreed, sounding like I was easily hiding something from her because I had no other way to bring the point across. It was a coward's way.

"Niall, is everything all right, dear?" She asked me before adding, "Am I bothering you with all this chatter? I'm trying my best not to sound too hard on you."