Chapter 24

Aaliyah smiled at Lilli, who rubbed her eyes.
"What year is it?" The little girl asked.
Aaliyah laughed, opening the pink drawers.
"Today, is your first day of third grade."
Lilli frowned.
"A new school? No way."
Aaliyah followed her as she made her way to the bathroom.
"Lilli," Aaliyah said. "Your dad enrolled you already."
Lilli sighed.
"He doesn't know anything. School is dumb."
Aaliyah bent down, looking in Lilli's blue eyes.
"And you will be too if you don't go to school."
Lilli groaned.
"I'm sleepy. I don't want to go!"
"Lilli, don't scream in the morning."
She stomped from the bathroom, pushing her fist in the air.
"I don't wanna go! I don't wanna go!"
She chanted over and over, louder each time.
"Lilli!" Aaliyah gasped, shocked by this tantrum.
"No! I don't wanna..." She stopped mid sentence, looking up at her father who had come from his study.
"Good morning, Lilli." Iain said, his arms crossed.
Lilli looked at her feet, as if she were ashamed.
"Morning."
"Are you yelling at Aaliyah?"
Lilli shook her head quickly.
"No, it was just uh..."
Iain patted Lilli's head, smiling at her.
"You gonna go to school for me?"
Lilli nodded.
"Yes!"
She skipped to her room, and Aaliyah looked after her in shock.
"How? How'd you do it?"
Iain brushed his shoulders.
"I'm just that good."
Aaliyah sighed, as if she were defeated.
"I want to be that good."
Iain chuckled, kissing her forehead.
"You are that good precious. I have a special surprise for you tonight.",
Aaliyah had a look of anticipation on her face, wondering what her surprise could be, and excited for what was to come.
Lili came out of the bathroom after Iain left the room, only getting dressed in casual clothes and putting her hair into a ponytail.
"Lili, you didn't brush your hair.", Aaliyah noticed the choppy ends and bed look Lili's hair contained.
Pushing past Aaliyah, Lili walked out of the room and down the stairs to get some breakfast before going to ANOTHER new school. Couldn't Aaliyah see she just didn't want to be bothered?
Going after Lilli quickly Aaliyah met her in the kitchen and pulled out some ingredients to make her something even though there was a personal Chef who name was Maniuel, that oddly resembled George Lopez. He is friendly and couldn't hurt a fly, but could cook a mean burrito and his homemade guacamole was divine, he puts salmon in it. Unconventional and wildly delicious.
"I'll make you something.",
Getting up suddenly and walking away, Lilli muttered a "I'm not hungry.", and then waited in the living room for Iain.
Aaliyah didn't understand what her deal was, Why is she mad at her? The girl has to go to school, and she was just following Iain's orders to wake her. Maybe she was being a smother and leave it alone, but that's just not her nature.
"Lilli Catherine Pliegue! What is your issue? I'm just trying to be nice to you!",
Rolling her eyes and sitting down on the couch, facing her back towards Aaliyah, Lilli did nothing to answer her questions, didn't even make effort to spare a glance. Aaliyah was not her mother and she needed to stop acting like it, Lilli didn't want to hurt her feelings but if she kept prying then she would have to.
Aaliyah turned Lilli around.
"Look at me when I'm talking to you!",
Lili pushed her hand away and screamed at her.
"Don't touch me! You're not my mother so stop acting like it. I. Don't. Like. You.",
Aaliyah felt tears start to prickle at her eyes, and the familiar lump in her throat signaling she was about to cry. Even though she refused to let the tears fall and lump shake her voice, Lilli's words hurt her on the inside. They stung.
"You're right. I'm not your mother, I'm sorry.", Aaliyah walked out of the living room, rushing past Iain and upstairs to their bedroom.
"Aaliyah!", Iain had noticed her watery eyes and immediately looked to Lilli.
"What did you say to her?",
"She acts like she's my mother. She's not. So I told her that.",
Sighing, Iain sat down next to Lilli, putting his suitcase on the floor next to his feet.
"Lilli, you're right she's not your mother, because your real mother is dead. If I choose to marry Aaliyah, you would have to call her mom. She didn't need to bring you back to me or even treat you as her own daughter, and this is how you repay her? By being mean?",
Lilli looked down, ashamed of her actions, she didn't think about all of that before she yelled at Aaliyah and now she regretted it.
"When you get back from school I expect you to apologize to Aaliyah, but right now I have to get you to school before you're late.",
Aaliyah wiped her tears, her mascara running quickly from her eyes. Lilli was only a child, but words hurt either way. Iain pushed open the door, looking over the bedroom.
"This is where you went darling? You've been in here since this morning, you have to come out."
Aaliyah shrugged, but didn't answer, turning her face away from Iain.
"Sweetheart," he said. "Don't hide from me."
Aaliyah sighed, hugging herself.
"Iain, she said I wasn't her mom. I did everything for her. I got her out of that orphanage, and I reunited her with you. I treated her like she was my own."
Iain nodded, understanding.
"Aaliyah, she just misses her mother. She came here, with an entirely different life. Everything was new. This house was new, you were new, even I was new. She's not used to people loving her as much as you do."
Aaliyah looked up at him from her place on the floor. She stayed silent, unsure what to say.
Iain sat with her, then continued.
"Lilli is still in this bubble, that she's afraid will pop. It's like she sleeps with one eye open, because she's afraid of being hurt. You have to be patient. You can't expect her to open up so easily to us.",
Aaliyah scoffed, rolling her eyes.
"You mean me. She loves you, as she should.",
Iain heard the jealously in Aaliyah's voice, but he didn't let it affect him for he knew how she was feeling.
Iain sighed, and rested his arms on his knees that was up near his chest.
"Aaliyah....I....you do have to remember that Lilli isn't your biological child. What do you want? A child of your own?",
Aaliyah crossed her arms and looked anywhere but at Iain. She couldn't admit it.
"Do you want a child Aaliyah?",
Of course Iain had some humor in his first asking of the question, but when Aaliyah actually looked to be considering it, things turned serious.
Aaliyah looked at the now oh so interesting lush black carpet rug they were sitting on.
"Some day.", Aaliyah whispered softly.
Iain ran his hands down his face, feeling some what relieved by her answer yet some how unsure she wasn't being completely honest with her answer. He would let it go for now.
"Okay, but back to the topic",
Iain lifted Aaliyah's chin so she was looking directly in his eyes.
"You will always be Lilli's mother. Biological or not. You understand?",
Aaliyah nodded faintly, not giving a verbal answer.
"I can't hear you.", Iain said with a mischievous grin.
"Yes Iain, I understand.", Aaliyah said softly, with a small smile.
After Iain heard her reply, he hugged her, holding her close. She let out a sigh as he engulfed her into a warm hug, enjoying the closeness and already feeling better.
Suddenly they heard a knock, both of them let each other go and looked to the bedroom's entrance. There they saw Lili, who had just arrived home from school, standing timidly and looking rather sheepish.
Iain turned back to Aaliyah and caught her eyes.
"I have some more work to do, I'll be in the study.",
Getting up, he walked out of the room, but not before giving Lilli a knowing look as he exited.
Lilli sighed, and slowly walked to Aaliyah, sitting across from her Indian style.
"I'm sorry.",
Aaliyah didn't reply, she just stared.
"I know what I said was wrong, and once I did say it I instantly regretted it Aaliyah. Please, forgive me?",
Aaliyah crossed her arms and looked down at Lilli with a stern yet loving look.
"I suppose I do forgive you.",
Lili felt tears come to her eyes, now she truly knew how much her words had hurt Aaliyah, and it hurt her.
Without warning Lilli leaned into Aaliyah and hugged her tightly.
"Even though I don't remember my first mother, I'm glad I have a second one.
I love you, Mom.",
Never had Aaliyah felt as much joy as she was feeling right now. Lilli called her Mom and she said she loves her! She couldn't help but smile into the embrace.
"I love you too Lilli.",