Chapter 25

Night fall came quickly and Iain was glad for he didn't forget about his surprise for Aaliyah. He hurriedly prepared the dinner table on the patio as Lili distracted Aaliyah with her homework. Iain set the white plates on the coral colored table cloth and then the shiny silverware and glasses.
He lit two lemon scented candles, not only her favorite smell but also color. The citrus aroma did wonders as it was combined with the luscious smell of yellow and red roses.
Running in the kitchen he signaled Maniuel, the house chef to bring out the main course. Grilled salmon with smoked pineapples and jasmine rice, Aaliyah's favorite.
As Manuiel set the dishes, Iain went up to his master bedroom and changed into a handsome, black suit with a crystal white tie. He set out the yellow toned and white based floral dress for Aaliyah to wear on the bed with a small note with instructions.
Going back down to the patio, he waited and looked at his watch.
Exactly 2 minutes left. Like clockwork he heard heels click on the smoky brown wooden floors of the living room, getting closer and closer. Eventually, Aaliyah came into view, looking beautiful as ever in Iain's eyes.
She walked out in the crisp, warm night, feeling the humid breeze.
It was lovely to be the beginning of December. Strange.
"Is this the surprise you spoke of?",
Aaliyah sat down across from a suited, handsome looking Iain.
He fixed his tie, mocking cockiness.
"Well more or less. I have one more but it can wait.",
Maniuel walked quietly in with a bottle of champagne, and poured the drink in each of their glasses.
They bid him a thank you before he left them in comfortable silence.
"This is my favorite!", Aaliyah picked up her fork and dug into the Salmon, closing her eyes as she felt the tingling of taste buds, it was amazing!
Iain chuckled, happy she's enjoying the meal.
"I wouldn't have requested for it otherwise.",
He looked at her as she ate blissfully, watching intently, and rather amused that she could go from adult to child in a matter of seconds over something that makes her happy.
"So",
Iain watched as Aaliyah swallowed her last bite and spoke, face blank. Smile gone. She looked indifferent. She looked cold.
"What do you want?",
Iain was taken aback by her question.
"I'm sorry?",
Aaliyah stared blankly now at Iain.
"My favorite dish, favorite flowers, I mean, you must want something. Am I incorrect? You wouldn't just do this for nothing, I know you Iain. You want something.",
Iain laughed, giving Aaliyah an unexpected reaction. He couldn't believe his ears, this couldn't be real.
"You are incorrect. Just because I did all of this doesn't mean I want something. Did it ever occur that maybe I just like seeing you happy?",
"I mean no.... Considering you have me here for one thing. Why can't you just be a man and spit it out. You know you're just using me.",

Did I hear her correctly? Did she really think our whole relationship was built off of that?
"Do you really think I want you here just for that? Just to use you?", Iain scoffed, offended at what he was hearing. The more he looked at her the more monstrous she became. He blinked his eyes fast, hoping the image would get better.
Aaliyah put down her fork.
"Iain...are you alright?"

Shock was the only thing I felt at those words, but disgust was gently creeping up. I pushed the ring further in my pocket, deciding this was not the moment if this is really how she thought.
"Do you think I don't love you?", I gripped onto the table cloth tightly, anger building inside of me. I knew what her answer would be. She doesn't think so, it's evident but I asked anyway.
"It's not like you ever said it, but that's not something I'm worried about at the moment Iain....",
As I started to stand up so did she. Aaliyah reached out her hand to touch mine but I violently snatched away.
"I've been in love with you the moment I saw you! If I didn't love you I wouldn't be doing this!",
The table cloth was pulled and everything came onto the cobbled stone ground with a clash and bang as I knocked the chair a few paces back.
Aaliyah jumped back to avoid the wine and candles.
"Iain! Why are you mad at me?! What did I say? What did I do?",
I started to walk away, I couldn't stand here and argue with her anymore, it was futile. She knew exactly what she said.
"It's not like you ever loved me!", The voice was distorted, it didn't even sound like her.
I stopped in my tracks, slowly turning around I glared at her.
I pulled the ring from my pocket and threw it on the now cleared dinner table.
"I can't believe you doubted my devotion. I love you more than anything..", I said before walking inside, slamming the patio doors shut and ascending the staircase.