Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Nearly two hundred upperclassmen assembled in Jasper Theater. And although there were worst ways to spend the Saturday morning after finals, this was definitely still pretty bad.

Miren sighed as she took a seat in the front next to Parker. She would have felt better at Jeno and Wallace's side, but then she remembered that she was trying not to feel anything for Parker. And the more time she spent with him, the more likely she'd be able to convince herself.

At least, this was the lie she was most comfortable telling herself.

"Dr. Edsel has all of the cellphones," Parker said. "And the security guard's metal detector test was clear. So we can probably begin." He rose to his feet, and began talking with a middle-aged man, the grief counselor from the funeral. The man clasped his hands.

"Okay, I think we're ready to start," he said as he surveyed the audience of bored-looking boys. Some were even still in their pajamas. "For those of you that don't remember me, I'm Dr. Everts. I am a grief counselor, although I was trained as a psychiatrist. In my years of practice, I have found that tragedy is one of the greatest components of abstract behavior in seemingly normal people. Since you boys are also in varying stages of puberty, this also plays a factor in how you interpret your feelings and actions. And today, I'd like to help you understand what you might be feeling, and how we can make you more productive."

"I'm pretty sure my tuition doesn't pay for a stupid gossip session," Axel said, folding his arms. "If you want to talk to someone, why don't you talk to the jokester responsible for pissing off the Roz girls and their queen bitch? Or better yet, why don't you tell us who they are so we can kick his ass?" A majority of the hall began to cheer, offering fist-pumps and brutish yells.

"Unfortunately, I'm as unfamiliar with the situation as you are," the man admitted. "You may be aware of some rumors, but the information is confidential. However, if the person responsible feels like discussing what they did, we shall. But you certainly will not kick his ass," he indirectly threatened. "For the next few hours this will be a place of honesty and understanding."

Honesty and understanding my ass. Miren fought the urge to roll her eyes.

"Now does anyone want to start?" Parker said, rising to his feet. "The faster we reach a sense of collective understanding, the faster we can get the hell out of here. There's a catered lunch. And if they leave it out for too long, they won't be able to serve it." The males groaned.

"What do you want us to do?" Klondike said, a chair down from Parker, a row in front of Wallace. "Not to be that guy, but this all sounds like Rosemunde's problem. That Miren girl died for circumstances related to her treatment at her school. Then someone tried to punish Penelope. Maybe it's just karma."

"The problem is that everyone thinks the shenanigans that have been pulled are from our school," Parker offered. "The diet cola spill at the Rising Scholar Assembly. The sex-tape video at Penelope's anti-bullying assembly. Now the play thing. This has to stop."

"Although I appreciate your motivation, Klondike's right," Miren then offered, half-wondering why she was offering anything. "It's hard to make progress without knowing where exactly we're starting from. Maybe the other students need more information as to why this meeting was called."

"Okay," Parker said before sighing. "I encouraged this meeting because we need closure. I searched up and down for Miren, only to discover that she was killed in a fire. And I know that I played a part in her disappearance. But know our school's reputation is suffering, and that affects all of us."