Worth It [Chapter 16]

"The more violent the storm, the quicker it passes."

Paulo Coelho

           When the morning came around, it felt all too soon. Ophelia was well rested, there were no dark circles under her eyes and her muscles were not feeling exhausted as they had been in the last few days; only her throat with its deep bruising still hurt.

         However, it was her mind that felt filled to the brim. With Bucky's little pep talk the night before, she knew that she could opt out at any time, but that was what was weighing on her. There were things she not only wanted to do, such as fight beside the people she loved and cared about, but things she needed to do as well. There were times in her life where she wished she knew a few more things about herself, living off of a given name and a history of violence. It wasn't as if figuring out the names of her biological parents would suddenly give her some closure, but it would be a start.

           She slipped into her new outfit; it was not a cohesive suit like Steve, Bucky and Sam had, but for the time they had to get her something, it would do the job. The pants and jacket were protective and thick; it would prevent any road rash, and other surface wounds like it. The boots took a few minutes to wrap up her legs, and she stood there looking in the mirror before sliding the shirt on. Still surprised Bucky had convinced her into wearing it, she slid it over her body and took a deep breath. A knock came on the door and Ophelia pulled it open. Sam was standing there. "Mind if I brush my teeth?"

         "Oh, go ahead," she said. "I was just about to do the same."

         He stood beside her, both of them moving methodically as they began brushing their teeth.

         "Thank you, again, for yesterday. I know Bucky appreciates it too, he might never say it, but I know he does."

         "No need to thank me, Kid," he said with a frothy-toothpaste smile.

          "You don't..." She paused and tried to listen for Bucky and Steve; they were talking among each other. "You don't harbour any hard feelings for Bucky, right?"

         Sam sighed. "Hard not to."

         "I guess you haven't really had too many good experiences with him." She lowered her voice, knowing that both Steve and Bucky had better hearing than a regular person. "But I have."

         "Is it worth it?"

         "Every second of it." She confirmed with a smile, concluding what she wanted to talk to Sam about.

***

           "Really?" Bucky raised his eyebrow at the car Steve had chosen; this was not the first time Captain America had stolen a car, though he continued to insist that he was simply borrowing it. The blue Volkswagen bug was old, beat up, and yet completely suited Steve somehow. Though he didn't even sit comfortably in the front seat, Steve was clearly content with the vehicle he had chosen, and didn't understand why everyone looked at it with such question.

         "It blends in here," Steve insisted, then he sighed. "I didn't exactly have time to go car shopping."

         "Shotgun." Sam grinned, shooting a glance at Bucky who opened his mouth to protest.

         The backseat of the car was utterly tiny, and a man of Bucky's size would not sit in it comfortably. Still, Ophelia and Bucky climbed into the back. O sat behind Steve who had the seat all the way back, and her shins were pressed against the back of his seat. Sam had the seat back almost all the way, and Bucky looked uncomfortable as soon as he fought his way inside of the small car. There was a satisfaction buzzing around Sam, and judging by his expression, he felt as though he had won that.