Coarse

Stiles

It's been a few days since Barry let me live in his house. At first, Joe was not happy about it, but he's ok with me now.

Ok he's not ok with me, but he's ok with me staying there.

Sort of.

I think he knows there's something up about me, like he can sense the things that happened before Central City.

But I'm not the only one keeping secrets.

Barry is hiding something, and Joe knows what it is. Every night they're out, together. Everyday they're together, and then sometimes Barry gets a call from a friend (I'm guessing) and they share this look, before Barry has to leave.

I don't want to ask him about it, because I wouldn't want him to ask me about my stuff.

But I still want to know.

Another part of my mind is constantly stuck on the same subject.

Scott.

I haven't called, or text him. He hasn't either. Which shows a lot, I guess, about his feelings towards me now. 

It's a Friday night, Barry said we would hang and watch the mets game, but yet again he's not here and I'm alone in the house, with two pizzas that I will never eat, and a six pack of beer.

Sometimes I look at Barry Allen and I wonder if it's worth me tiptoeing around him to keep these secrets, or wether I should just leave.

But then again, he's the only good thing in my life right now.

I look down at my phone, no texts or calls from anyone, let alone Barry. It's times like this when I start to feel truly alone.

I grab my phone, and press speed dial, knowing full well that when he answered I wouldn't be able to speak.

"Stiles?" A voice says softly, and I almost break down. "Is that you?"

I slam my hand on the hang up button and throw my phone on the floor, wrapping my hands around my neck. Why did I do that?

The sound of my phone buzzing against the hard wooden floor is enough to bring me back from whatever state I was in. I wipe my face and slide onto the floor, grabbing the phone. To my surprise it's Barry.

"Hey?"

"Stiles! I'm so sorry! I'm..." I can almost hear his grimace as he tries to come up with an excuse. "I got held up at work?"

"I saw you leave work Barry." I say tiredly.

"Right..." Barry says quietly. "Look, Um... I can't really explain, it's just..."

"No it's ok." I say. I really just want some company right now, not answers. "What's happening?"

Barry breathes a sigh of relief which, if I wasn't in this mood, would have had me extremely annoyed. "Change of plans. Are you up for an awkward family dinner?"

For a second I don't say anything, instead I stand with my mouth gaping open like a fish. "...what?"

An hour later and I'm standing in the kitchen with Barry, who is flapping around and giving me a pep talk.

"Ok so when I was a kid I was taken in by Joe and Iris became my best friend, also sister and we've grown up together. So now it turns out Joe has a secret son they never knew about and Iris' mom died a few weeks ago and Joe wants Wally to become a member of the family more because he's his son and that's why this dinner is taking place but also its because Iris wants to meet you and..." He stops, leaning one hand against the wall and wiping his head on his arm. "Got all that?"

"Iris sister, Wally surprise son, Iris wants to meet me..." I smirk. "Why does Iris want to meet me?"

"Because he won't stop going on about you." Iris pokes her head into the kitchen. "Come on boys, pizzas here."

I nudge Barry in the side and he blushes, following Iris out of the door with his head down. I giggle and follow them, preparing myself to be interrogated by Joe.

Wally was a really great guy and we seemed to get on more than he and Barry did. I'm guessing it was some kind of jealousy, competition complex thing that I really didn't want to get into. But I could tell Wally and I are going to become friends. With him being the same age as I am, it helped a bit.

"So you're 19, and you're already a DI?" Wally says, finishing his slice. "Dude that's awesome!"

"I guess." I shrug, taking a sneaky look at Joe, who was watching me suspiciously (as usual). Barry was looking at Joe as if to say 'Joe stop' and Iris was looking at Barry with a smile on her face. "Well you'll have to thank your Dad for letting me be his new partner." I smile at Joe, in the hopes for some kind of friendliness in return. I got a half smile that soon returned to a blank face.

Wally laughed hesitantly, sensing the tension. "So... Barry you work there too right?"

"Yeah," Barry broke his gaze on Joe to smile at Wally. "Yeah I'm a forensic scientist. It's pretty cool."

"Wow, that's awesome."

"Not when the boss hates you." I say smugly, teasing Barry.

"Just because you're a suck up, Stilinski." Barry fires back, making a face at me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Iris watching us fondly.

"Not my fault he loves me!" I grin, pretending to flick a piece of pepperoni at him. Barry sticks his tongue out playfully.

"He only loves you because your Mom was his friend." Joe speaks for the first time that evening, and the air around me seems to still. "I bet they don't even talk now, do they?"

I feel my gut twist and I suddenly feel like I'm going to throw up. "I... No..."

"See I told you!" Joe grins, but Barry glares at him. Joe laughs nervously, as Barry sends daggers in his direction.

"She's dead." I mumble quietly, and only Barry seems to hear. He looks at me with horror on his features, as I look hopelessly at him. "She's dead." I say a little clearer, staring Joe straight in the eyes. "Excuse me." I push my half eaten plate away from me and leave the table.

"Dad!" Iris cries, horrified, as I leave. I see Barry's reflection in the front door window, and it's an expression of fury, aimed directly at Joe.

I step outside and sit on the steps, my hands linked behind my head and try to breathe.

I don't know how much longer I can keep doing this.

***

I'D JUST LIKE TO POINT OUT THAT I'M NOT MAKING JOE A BAD GUY, I LOVE HIM TO PIECES.

But all will be explained in a couple of chapters :)

I've decided that I'm going to sort of follow along the lines of season 2, so this is just before they go to Earth 2

Hope you enjoyed! Let me know what you think.