32 - "Ti amo tanto, Bellissima."

Chapter 32 - "Ti amo tanto, Bellissima."

Nathan's dad was laying the table as I came downstairs. I took a deep breath before making my presence known and heading up to the table.  

"Would you like any help?" I asked him, trying to keep my tone light and casual.  

He looked up at hearing my voice. "No, of course not, dear. Take a seat. You're the guest here." 

I did as he said and sat down, while trying to think about what to say next. Should I bring up earlier? 

"I didn't expect us to meet like that, Mr Hunt," I told him, deciding to take the plunge. Could things get any more awkward than they already were? 

He just chuckled, passing me a spoon. "It's already forgotten. Have you settled in?"

My nerves settled. "Yes, thanks. The room is beautiful." 

"I'm glad you like it."

The smell of Bolognese drifted in from the kitchen, and a rush of affection for Nathan barrelled into my heart. He knew I loved it. Had he suggested we eat it tonight? The affection was then replaced with sadness as I remembered our argument. Georgia came in and sat down opposite me, smiling. I smiled back, but there was a noticeable absence at the table.  

"Where's Nathan?" his dad asked.  

"He went for a walk," Georgia replied.  

The two of them exchanged glances. It was obvious we'd argued. Nathan would never have abandoned me otherwise, especially on the first night of meeting his family.  

"He should be back soon," his dad said confidently. "He's never one to miss a meal." 

As predicted, a few minutes later, Nathan granted us with his presence. He took a seat next to me but said nothing, not even sparing a look in my direction. 

"Where've you been?" Georgia asked him. She kept her tone light and conversional, but I could detect the accusation.  

"I went for a walk," he murmured, pouring himself a large glass of wine. "The plane journey had given me a headache and I needed fresh air." 

Sure enough, the meal was Spaghetti Bolognese. It was delicious, but the whole atmosphere at the table was tense. Nathan's dad and sister made conversation with me and I put a lot of effort back into it, asking them questions in return. Nathan sat silently, though, sulking. It did upset me because I'd never imagined our first evening being like this. He knew how nervous I was, so why was he leaving me alone for this?  

Once again, I offered to help after dinner with tidying up the dishes, but Nathan's dad insisted that they could manage. As Georgia and I chatted in the living room, I stifled a yawn. She noticed, however, and smiled sympathetically.  

"You've had a long day. If you want an early night, we'll more than understand." 

I smiled gratefully. She was giving me a lifeline out of this awkward evening. Tomorrow, I'd be feeling better and things with Nathan would have hopefully sorted themselves out, too.  

"Yeah. I think I might, actually," I told her. "I'll just say night to your dad." 

I stuck my head around the kitchen door and explained how tired I was. Like Georgia, he understood and encouraged me to go to bed. As I was getting ready, I could hear raised voices in the kitchen. It was muffled, though, so I couldn't work out exactly what was being said, but I could tell it was an argument.  

Despite going to bed early, I tossed and turned for hours. I usually had trouble sleeping in unfamiliar places, but the added anxiety after my argument with Nathan ensured that sleeping was impossible. At around one o'clock, the door opened. I kept my eyes shut, thinking it was just Georgia checking up on me. The door shut again and I believed that she'd left until I felt the bed sink down beside me.