A Perch For Her

My baby sister, like a statue, stares unblinkingly out the window, firmly grasping our parents' rings in her tiny delicate right hand. If the raise and fall of her chest from breathing wasn't noticeable, she would be mistaken for a life size doll.

Ellie, she's like mom in so many ways. However since mom's and dad's departure from this world to the next, that little girl is a shell of her former self.

Her appearance is still mother. My baby sister's ashen hair is still voluminous with perfect ringlets that frame her pale angelic face and flows like a raging river down her back.

However it isn't her features that saddens, worries me. It's her eyes.

It's her eyes that are different.

Once brilliant and vibrant crystal blue eyes that twinkled brighter than the stars on a clear night have lost that gleam of happiness, of young innocence.

Now in it's place is a deep sorrow that hasn't lessened in the month we've been in this little town my mother and father grew up in.

Sweet Little Ellie, as every morning since our arrival in this new cozy house of ours, sits on the windowsill that faces the lush and lively forest with the precious rings fist firmly and tightly against her beating heart.

Nothing makes her want to move from her spot, her nest. Not promises of treats, exploring the town, playing at the park, I've even offered to take a stroll through the forest she stares at from her perch.

She neither speaks nor gives any indication she heard me at all, fueling the self loathsome and hopelessness swirling inside of me with each miserable failed attempt to reach her.

However, no matter the emotions raging deep in my stomach, I would never give up on her. Even if it takes years to reach her.

So, even if it takes every once of will power to suppress my grief, to bottle up those soul crushing emotions, I will.

Ellie is my number one priority, I would never put myself above her.

That is why I have a surprise for her that might get even a tidbit of reaction.

"Well......" I sigh over-dramatically. "I guess I'll have to go dress shopping all by myself!"

She still doesn't give what I want.

"Whose gonna tell me I look gorgeous!" I cry out as I throw my back hand against my forehead.

I peak from the corner of my eyes, and what I witness, warms my heart. A smile I haven't seen in what feels like ages.

Even if it's hardly visible. Just a tip of the right corner of her lips, but a smile nonetheless.

Little Ellie, slides from her nest, and makes her way to her flats by the door. After slipping her feet in the black shoes, she grasps my hand firmly in hers.

With a grin splitting my face in two, I let her lead me out of our white two bedroom house.

Since the house is about a 1/9 of a mile from the town square, we walk and take in the sights.

It still amazes me how green and quiet it is. It's lush with life that isn't in the city. Instead of skyscrapers towering over everything, it's trees.  Instead of the constant police sirens, it's birds singing. Instead of the dirty and pollution smell, it's clean and fresh air.

And the green, It's everywhere! I've never seen such an arrangement of one shade of color!

I will miss the city, only for the memories. But I think here will do Ellie and I some good.