26; Rumours, experiments, and realisations

**I have a new cover!!! And it's totally cool. Big big love and thanks to @Hopless_Dreamss, this chapter is dedicated to you (; xx**

Violet

I walk into History early, sitting myself down at my usual desk at the front and pulling out my books and pens. My teacher, Mrs. Green, offers me a smile from behind her desk and I tap my fingers on my desk patiently as I wait for class to start.

More students enter the room, yelling at each other even though they're right next to each other. There's the loud scrape of chairs and desks and bags being thrown to the floor. I sigh and open my book, writing a few pre-notes down.

"God, would you stop fussing?" Brittany and her crew enter the class next, walking past me to their seats at the back. "I dumped him. No big deal."

My ears perk up and I strain myself to listen more into their conversation.

"Dumped him?" Brittany's friend gasps. "But why?"

"Too needy," Brittany replies casually. I just don't need that, you know? He would just always be throwing himself at me and I had had enough. So, I dumped him."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that."

I turn around to look at her fully, my eyebrows knitted together in confusion. Brittany holds up her compact and covers her lips in lip gloss with the other hand. She notices me staring and snaps her compact shut, staring at me. "Problem, Smith?"

I gulp and shake my head, turning back around. Is she serious? Did she really dump Zayn? They're over? I can't believe it, and somehow it doesn't make sense. I can't help but think that Brittany's lying about dumping Zayn. But nonetheless, they're over. They're done. I don't know why, but this forms a warmth in my stomach.

"Okay, class," Mrs. Green stands, "page 58."

------

"What are you eating?" I anxiously eye Liam's plate of food which looks strangely yellow, and that he's happily eating.

He looks up from his plate and finishes his mouthful before speaking. "Chickpea and potato curry," he says.

I squint a bit in disgust and he laughs, stabbing his fork at the plate and holding it out to me, his hand underneath to catch anything dropping. "Try some."

I bite my lip and look at the fork, then at him, and he just gives me a smile, edging me on. I open my mouth and he feeds me the fork, and I feel totally stupid but I don't care because Liam's really close to me, and this curry is actually really damn good.

"Like it?" He asks.

I chew slowly and nod. "Mmmm."

He laughs and then his eyes fall to my lips. "You-" He doesn't finish his sentence, just puts his thumb to the edge of my lips, wiping the last remains of food. He smiles and kisses me softly before pulling away and returning to his plate.