Chapter 1

Hi everyone! So this is my first attempt at writing so please bear with me a bit. This chapter is very explanatory but hopefully you'll get the gist of it and enjoy the story as it goes along. I'll try and update semi-regularly as it's summer and I'm hoping to get it finished for the end of summer.

I'd like to thank @winded for making offering and making such a beautiful cover and for @Aphroditess also for the one set as the media for this chapter!

So please comment as much as you can and correct any mistakes I've missed.

(Edited: Due to editing I may have missed out some of the changes I've been making. Please point out any mistakes in the story or names etc. Thank you!)

Thank you and enjoy!

----

"Happy Birthday, m'lady."

Lavinia groaned and rolled over to her other side, avoiding the bright morning sunshine cutting across her room. Her hair was tangled around her face and her mouth was parched from hanging open all night. She was seventeen today,and although she had always officially been a lady, she was expected to act like one now.

Lavinia was a very accomplished young lady and had completed finishing school earlier in the spring. Her musical abilities were already widely talked of among her parent's friends and connections and now that she was seventeen, and would soon be beginning her first season as a debutante, she was sure that they would be in high demand. It was with these thoughts of dread that she promised to herself that she would enjoy today. The sun was shining, it was her birthday and she could tease and annoy her brothers all day and they wouldn't be allowed to retaliate.

"Lady Lavinia, you must rise now," Anne insisted as she brought a large box around to the bottom of the bed and set it down on the trunk. Realising that her mother must have ordered her a new dress she sat up quickly and in doing so knocked her elbow on the bedpost. Fighting back the tears she rubbed it quickly while taking a little more care as she got out of bed and sat at her dresser.

Anne picked up the brush and began to smooth out Lavinia's hair. It was her favourite feeling to have her hair brushed and she began to chatter away to Anne. Her maid had been her closest friend since returning from finishing school and they were like sisters.

"Where did the dress come from?" Lavinia asked.

"It arrived only yesterday, apparently it took a long time to make and it looks very expensive. Your mother asked me to hide it in my room and only bring it out this morning but you're not allowed to wear it until the ball tonight." Anne answered, grinning excitedly as she pulled Lavinia's hair into a bun on top of her head.

"May I see it first though?" Lavinia wondered, ready to jump up.

"Of course," Anne replied, taking a step back to avoid being hit by Lavinia's elbow. She laughed a little at Lavinia's request. Lavinia was the lady, not her. She may do whatever she pleased. Her friend and mistress was a little clumsy however. Her first day working for her, Anne had gone to bed with a bruise in the ribs and a bleeding nose as Lavinia had tried to help unpack her clothes and had accidently elbowed her side and dropped the lid of the trunk closed as Anne's head was still in it. She had apologised profusely for her clumsiness and had allowed Anne a sleep in the next day, so Anne had readily forgiven her. She did not have the patience to hold a grudge against anyone, least of all her mistress whom she would see each day. Instead, she had learned how to avoid potential injuries.

Lavinia rushed over to the box and pulled off the lid, letting out an audible gasp as she took it all in. The gorgeous white silk glowed in the morning light and gold lace was intricately embedded in the bodice. The sleeves were shaped down to the elbows and finished with golden lace cuffs. The skirt was simple, the way Lavinia liked it, with the material shimmering all the way to the floor like a resplendent waterfall.