Chapter 3: Ryker Dare

"I figured you would want to know even if she farted in her sleep," - Draven Ray

~~~~~~~~~~

"She's never waking up Ryker, give it up." I've never wanted to punch someone as much as I did at this moment. I wouldn't even punch Thomas first if he was a choice, and that's a feat if I ever saw one.

"Then leave," I growled. Draven Ray didn't even spare me a glance but instead kept looking at the woman lying deathly still in bed. He was the man that was like a brother towards Kei, or so I've been told. I still had my doubts about the relationship between them being totally innocent, but that was mostly Axel's suspicion more than mine.

"It's been two months Ryker, and it has been the same thing every day." He spoke somberly, his eyes dull. "No response, no movement. Even if she wasn't, she might as well as be dead.

"But she is alive, no matter what you call it," I said, clenching my fists as I stared at her serene face. "One would have faith instead of drowning in sorrow, Draven." He didn't say anything and his silence made my anger rise.

Hearing his words of complete defeat made me feel as if she was truly gone, but I knew without a doubt that she wasn't. She promised she would come back, and I trusted her word more than anyone else.

"She is part of my family, and I pray to the goddess every day to bring her back. Yet, two months have passed and she still hasn't answered. What else am I supposed to do, Ryker? This nagging sorrow just won't go away." He looked up at me with tears glistening in his eyes and all of my anger drained out of me, sensing the true depth of his misery.

"Draven, you should know how strong she is. Do you honestly believe that a measly arrow will take her down forever?" I waited patiently for his answer, seeing the battle of dark emotions in his eyes.

"I don't believe that she would let Leon kill her off before taking him with her." He smiled weakly and he reached over to grab her limp hand in his own. I forced down the growl of possessiveness at the contact, telling Axel to let the man seek some comfort. "I believe that no Hell could prevent her from coming back to get her revenge on him."

"Now that, I can truly imagine. She is as stubborn as six bulls," I say in amusement. He chuckled and nodded in agreement. After that, we fell into a delicate silence, the peace ready to be broken at the sound of clouds passing. The delicateness of the space around us was truly full of disquiet, yet it was the most restful that it had ever been during these last two months.

I took this time to study my mate lying before me in her comatose state. Although I've been doing this for the last two months, I still felt as if I made a new discovery each time I looked at her face. Her expression was that of a woman content in the world that was not this one, her face relaxed and serene. It was not marred by any of the stresses that were brought upon a person when they were awake, the sins of the world not touching her at all.

Her lips looked as if they were a constant tiny smirk as if there was a joke that we didn't get. Her silver hair reminded me too much of the moonlight that shone almost every night, a constant reminder of how far out of reach both of them were to me. Too soon, the quiet was broken by a knock on the door.

"Alpha." My beta walked in through the door, his mood somber. Clark Davis waited patiently for my response as I took one last moment to gaze at her face before finally addressing him.

"What is it?" He bowed his head in respect before straightening.

"Just now, two rogues were found and captured, and it seems they may be related to Leon somehow." Internally, I gave a sigh while nodding outwardly.