21:A Brush With Death and an Invitiation to Dinner

Hi Friends!

So, I appologize for this chapter's lengthy-ness. It was actually supposed to be split into two chapters, but wattpad wont let me separate the two parts unless I delete the rest of the story first. I'm not going to do that, so bear with me here. :) 

Also, I do not own these people.  Though sometimes my friends and I joke about abducting Leo, that's about the closest we've ever got to owning Jack.  Anywhose, let's all applaud TEAtitanicfan on this chapter! Because, she wrote a great deal of it. And I'm very proud of her. :) Many of the chapters that are yet to come shall be written by her, as well.  Also, I want to continue to thank my glorious editor greenpea, as we couldn't have done any of this without her help and support. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Rose Dewitt Bukater

She can’t seem to concentrate on anything. Faces and little pieces of ongoing, cheerful conversation float in and out of her perception, but never enough to properly grasp onto. Her mind doesn’t seem to be working properly anymore. It’s like her unhappiness has created a sort of wall in the front of her brain, blocking any other thought from coming through.

Rose’s eyes are glazed and she stares ahead at nothing.

“Awfully quiet, tonight, isn’t she,” Rose’s mother says to someone. If she cared, she would’ve seen that something was most certainly wrong.  Rose knows that Ruth is greatful for her silence, though. For once, her feisty, stubborn daughter is actually keeping her mouth shut.

“I say, these crumpets are absolutely delightful!” Says a woman to her far left.

Pass the caviar!” Says another.

Only a quid? My shoes are worth at least two.” Says someone far across the crowded table, as if these ridiculous, material objects are the most important things in world, coming far before people and feelings. And this isn’t even the worst part.

The worst part is that nothing will ever change for Rose. She knows it, and they all know it, too. That’s just the way they all want it. Her life will play out in the exact same way, every day, for the next eighty or so years. She’ll wake up in the mornings, dress in her nice things, and then spend the rest of the day having high society tell her what to do and how to do it like she’s their insignificant, foolish puppet. And then she’ll do this the next day, and then the next day, and then everyday afterwards. Until she dies. And then her children will have to, and then their children, and their children….She can see her entire life laid out before her as if she’s already lived it.

And there’s not one thing she can do about it, especially now, since her favored escape lies somewhere at the bottom of the ocean.

I can’t go on existing like this…I need to get away. I need an escape.  I wish life came with a refresh button, so that when the world kind of caved in I could be done with it all. I could press refresh and start all over. Just like that. Somewhere different.

I need an out.

       Rose pushes her chair back suddenly. Nobody even glances in her direction. Even with her head so foggy, she knows just what she has to do now. It’s the only thing she can think about.

Oh God….Oh God forgive me, I need an out…..

She can’t even wait until bath time. Rose gets up, and she runs.

She’s out of the dining hall and onto the deck faster than ever imaginable, even while restricted by her long, flowing red dress. Her heart beats wildly. She can feel the cold night air slap her in the face like a secret blow to the head.