7|| Pawn to E3

7|| Pawn to E3

Abraxas Malfoy has a fitting grip for that of his character and heritage.  Though firm with his surety and confidence, it is nothing like the grip Hermione would expect from Draco Malfoy.  It is more kindly than that, demanding her attention as she is pulled into the Hall and paying little mind to those around her.  Some people stare at their united forms, though not near a majority.  Waving at certain groups with a small smile, Abraxas makes his way to the Slytherin table where few sit.

From her peripheral vision, Hermione notices the congregated Knights and their leader near the center of the table, and more specifically, their gaze on Malfoy and herself.  Hermione takes special care not to catch the eyes of Riddle, sitting with grace and looking to Abraxas solely.

"I do hope I am not keeping you away from your friends," Hermione remarks to him, appreciating his friendliness though not wishing for the anger of others at Malfoy's attention to her.

"Do not even think of it, Hermione," Abraxas waves off with a smile. "I can see them all in the coming days, and besides, you are far better company than most."

Smiling at the boy with surety, Hermione turns to the meal on the table, piling a good portion of food onto her plate with well-tuned and unforgotten manners.  And though she is careful, Hermione cannot help spilling some mash-and-peas across the table as Lestrange plops down next to Abraxas, surprising her.  Huffing at the food and him, Hermione Granger meets the eyes of the fellow Knight who grins wickedly at her and Lestrange.  And then, peeking her eyes down the table, Hermione sees the clenched jaw and sparking red eyes of Tom Riddle, his eyes on Lestrange alone.  So this was not planned, at least by Voldemort.

"Hello, Robastian," Abraxas says, refusing to meet the other boy's eyes as he speaks with composure and faked concern.  "Did winter holiday treat you well?" 

"Positively wonderful, Malfoy.  And how was yours?  Your family's healthy, I hope," Lestrange replies, his eyes stuck to Hermione whose eyes are stuck to Abraxas.  And the white-haired heir simply looks around the hall, pretending to be oblivious to the boy's intentions.

"They are all as happy as goblins," Abraxas says, turning to Lestrange with a smile that screams of sarcasm.  So, Malfoy does not get along with his bigoted family... "As for me, well, it was nice to have your friends off my back for a few weeks."

"Yes, they do not seem to know when to shut up, now do they?" Lestrange remarks, and hypocritically at that.

"Do you?" Abraxas responds without fail, grinning at Hermione who has to chuckle, hiding it behind her napkin.  Lestrange, contemptuous of this newfound relationship, glares at Hermione solely.  It would seem that women are always at fault here in the 1940s.

"You know, Abraxas, you can be quite rude at times," Lestrange snarls with his attention now on the grinning boy.  "Why ever do people enjoy your company?"

"I am real...and honest.  Unlike those you take company in," Abraxas says easily, grin gone but replaced with a calm facade.  Lestrange stands strictly from the bench, Abraxas turning to grin again.  "Yes, run off now."

Robastian Lestrange storms away and back to his seat across from Tom.  Abraxas is more obvious than Hermione as he looks to that group of followers and their leader, Tom's face practically murderous as Lestrange sits down.  Abraxas cannot help grinning.

"Trouble in paradise, I see," Abraxas observes, his grin turning to a mischievous smirk.  "Good."

"For a boy who's warning me of Tom Riddle, you sure seem to enjoy agitating him," Hermione says, taking a bite of the mash as his eyes turn back to her with a note of seriousness, unfitting for the striking and charismatic Slytherin.