Unlocked [Chapter 18]

"Normal is a relative term; I have yet to meet this "normal" person."

Ken Poirot

            When they finally pulled into the airport parkade, Ophelia watched as Clint Barton stepped out of the white van. She had never met him, but of course she had seen him on the television after the incident with Sokovia. There was very little on him, the news loved to talk more about the people who had abilities beyond their wildest dreams. Sam and Steve quickly stepped out of the car, and Bucky climbed out as well. While the other two walked over to greet Clint and Wanda- who had just stepped out of the passenger seat- Bucky remained on the opposite side of the vehicle. Still distrust in himself and those around him who weren't Ophelia and Steve, he showed in subtle ways that only Ophelia might notice.

             Having been sitting behind Steve, Ophelia was on the opposite side of the car, and when she got out, she was standing behind Sam. Glancing over her shoulder, she locked eyes with Bucky briefly, and turned back to the new people in front of her. Wanda, with her long brown hair and her unique style, looked over at Ophelia, the only other woman in the group. Offering a gentle smile, Ophelia held her gaze for just a moment. There was something about her that she couldn't pin point in that moment, her head dizzy from everything that was going on, what was coming their way, and the blurred memories she had remembered during her nap.

             "How about our other recruit?" Steve asked.

            "He's rarin' to go. Put a little coffee in 'im," Clint replied, yanking open the sliding door of the van. Inside a man jolted awake, his hands raised above his head as though he were in trouble, and then he realized where he was.

            Sort of.

           "What time zone is this?" he asked as he crawled out of the back of the van, squinting slightly at the light.

            Clint nudged him along. "Come on."

            His eyes widened as he realized that he was standing directly in front of Captain America; Scott Lang walked over and reached out his hand. Steve returned the gesture politely, shaking his hand as was expected from him. But Scott didn't let go. "Captain America..."

          "Mr. Lang," Steve replied sternly, still shaking his hand.

           Ophelia narrowed her eyes and tried not to laugh; there was no doubt that their day needed this little giggle, but she raised her hand to her mouth to cover her smile. This really wasn't the time to be smiling, but once again, she decided it was best to savour the moment. She could feel the others around her raising their eyebrows as they watched Scott apologize for shaking Captain America's hand for too long. Steve nodded when Scott commented on their uncomfortably long hand shake, and they released hands at last.

          "Wow. This is awesome." Scott turned around, looked at Wanda. "Captain America. I know you too. You're great."

           A sigh came from Scott's lips, but he wasn't done there. He was still baffled that he was standing before Captain America, and saw no reason in hiding his excitement. His hands reached out and grabbed Steve's large arms, impressed as he could be. Ophelia could have sworn she heard Bucky scoff. "Jeez. Look I wanna say, I know you know a lot of super people, so thinks for thanking of me."

         Steve nodded, but that was all he had time for before Scott was at it again.

         "Hey man." Scott nodded at Sam.

         "What's up, Tic Tac?" Sam asked, arms crossed tight.

         "Ah... good to see you. Look, about last time..."