Chapter 2

This chapter is where we meet the love interest...enjoy!

Thanks again to @Aphroditess for the lovely cover!

-----

As the Bradley siblings arrived home and walked up to the front door of the house, a carriage pulled up. Charles, recognising it at once as his friend, readily opened the door before the coachman could jump down from his seat and seized the man inside into a strong embrace. Laughing and joking as they climbed the steps to the house, Charles finally found his manners when he noticed the surprise and intrigue on his sibling's faces.

"Edward, Lavinia," he said. "May I present to you Lord Caleb Alder, Duke of Hemmington. Caleb, this is my elder brother Lord Edward Bradley and my younger sister Lady Lavinia Bradley."

Edward and Caleb shook hands before Caleb gently grasped Lavinia's hand and raised it to his lips, watching her through his eyelashes.

"Enchanted," he whispered across her knuckles as her face flushed an embarrassing red and she pulled back her hand rather forcefully, hitting Edward beside her. He was tall, around six feet, with dark coloured hair and jade green eyes. His skin was tanned and his body well toned, clearly due to extensive manual labour. Lavinia was irritated at her tell tale flush and excused herself to go and get ready for tonight.

Charles had not mentioned that Caleb had been invited to visit and the suddenness had simply caught her off guard, that is all. Her flush was also due to the exercise in the springtime heat and certainly not the reception of her brother's friend. Climbing the stairs she refused to look back, to see those green eyes following her up with his mocking stance. He had realised the effect he had had on her and it irritated her. For him to have seen her weakness so soon after their introduction.

Lavinia returned to her room and called for a bath, using her favourite lavender scented soap to wash away the dirt and grime that had accumulated on their morning ride. Why had Charles not warned her of their house guest? He had clearly not been surprised at his friend's appearance and had welcomed him immediately.

She had met Caleb Alder only twice before now. Their first encounter had been five years ago after the untimely demise of her father. Caleb had been there to offer moral support to Charles which she had been grateful for as he had kept her brother away from the taverns and regulated his drinking habits until Charles had finally been ready to return to school and distract himself from his loss. Caleb had also helped with receiving friends and family after their father's funeral as neither of her brothers, her mother or herself had had the energy to respond. Caleb had kindly accepted the broths, soups and casseroles brought from far and wide and thanked their friends on her family's behalf.

The second time Lavinia could barely call a meeting. She had been visiting her Aunt Julie in London during a harsh winter and had been walking through some light snow to the carriage after a night at the concerts. Caleb had been in attendance and had noticed her, offering his arm to keep her from falling, and assisted her into her carriage. They had made small talk about the talent of the musicians and she had managed to thank him for his help during her mourning period, however the encounter couldn't have lasted more than a few minutes.

Each time, Caleb had clearly looked at her as nothing other than Charles' younger sister. A child, to be assisted and looked after. But now that she was seventeen and officially a lady, what did he think of her now? His cockiness and amusement at her discomfort enraged her and she was determined to ignore him now. She would not give him anything more to laugh at and therefore she must be nothing above civil to him.

"There you are!" Anne said as she burst into Lavinia's room, snapping her from her reverie.

"I've been looking for you downstairs. I thought you would have been with Master Charles. His friend, Lord Alder has arrived and he is to be staying for the ball tonight before travelling back to Oxford with Master Charles on Monday." Anne explained as she hurried about the room setting out Lavinia's new ball gown and preparing to dry and style her hair.