Chapter 28

I stood in front of the Headmaster's office door, almost afraid to go in. King Bat had refused to speak the entire walk, to the point that I questioned why he had even bothered to come at all.

"Go on." He finally spoke, noticing I had made no move to enter.

"Are you going to tell me what it's about?"

Nothing.

I exhaled frustrated, still dressed in my nightgown and knocked, stalling my entrance.

"Enter Miss Malfoy" A voice sounded from the other side. I turned to sneak a glance at King Bat but he was already gone. With no way out I pushed open the door.

Inside was the office of the headmaster, even in the dead of night it still remained a warm space, orange lights from the fire dancing along the walls.

"Yes sir?" I questioned, making way to his desk and taking a seat in front of it. He stood with his back to me looking out of a window that I had failed to take notice of before.

"Ah, Miss Malfoy, I hope you have been keeping out of too much trouble." he greeted politely and calming, whether it was the time of night or just his voice the entire conversation seemed to be taking place in a dream.

"I am." I replied skeptical. As if he didn't know everything that happened in every corner of this school. My breath got hitched in my throat. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason at all my dear."

"May I ask why you called me here so late?" I questioned, trying to steer the conversation.

"You may."

I waited.

"Are you going to tell me?" I asked, attempting to keep the frustrated tone from my voice.

"All in good time." He took a seat across from me, peering over his half moon spectacles at me.

I remained in silence.

"I am under the impression that you have had some trouble with some of the students from the other school." He stated. Surely he wouldn't be calling me to his office at this time to discuss that. I shrugged half heartedly. "I guess I have more school pride than originally thought." I lied smoothly. It didn't fool him.

"Remember Allyson, it is not wise to cross guests in your own domain." He said. I half wondered if he knew that he sounded wise, but the message of the meeting was going over my head.

"I'll do better to be more...inviting." I said, in the same tone I would use on my parents who had been scolding me." He nodded as if it was a good enough answer before speaking again.

"At any rate, that's not why I called you here tonight." I felt myself move up in my seat anxiously.

"Yes?" I asked, when he had not elaborated.

"I have a task for you." What? I wondered if a case of mistaken identity had come into his ancient mind.

"For me?" I asked confused. "Why? What is it?" Despite my confidence in myself surely there was someone in the school who was more qualified for whatever it was he was going to ask me to do.

He took a slow breath and folded his hands on his desk.

"It has come to my attention that you have been developing a relationship with someone." I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

"Headmaster, if you called me here to gossip-" I started but his soft voice seemed to cut through mine.

"I am merely saying that I wish for you to pursue the relationship...With Potter" He stated, noticing my confused and shocked expression.