Thirty-one

The Haladrian and Allegan armies swept over what remained of Tarus' forces. Those who didn't surrender or flee in terror fell before their swords like wheat to a scythe. Within minutes, they had stormed the castle, pouring in through the huge gap where the walls had stood, and seized control of that mighty fortress. Skylar had joined the fighting, once his grandfather finished marveling over his sudden appearance on the battlefield. Skylar could not explain it. He did not try to.

Once they gained control of the castle, Captain Arturo and Lord Rowvan urged Skylar to seek out Tarus and force him to give up the crown.

"It's all that's left to be done," said Lord Rowvan.

"Not before I find my companions. Krom, Rasbus and Grüny are held captive. I want them free before anything else. And I want Dr. Beezin sent for. Just in case..."

His voice trailed off. Fear gripped him. Fear that if he gave voice to his one spark of hope—hope that Endrick had not been killed—it would only bring despair.

They found his companions locked in Morvath's chamber, unguarded and still shackled. Both Rasbus and Grüny stared at him as if they were seeing a ghost.

"You can't be alive!" said Rasbus. "We saw you plunge right into that explosion. No one could have survived it."

Skylar did not answer. He did not have an explanation for what happened—not one he understood. He looked at Krom for help.

"The limbreath," he said with certainty. "You used it, didn't you?"

Skylar nodded.

"It was well done," he said, looking on Skylar with approval.

Rasbus and Grüny still looked confused.

"Come," said Skylar, "we must find Endrick."

They found Endrick in the castle's overcrowded infirmary. Nurses and medics rushed to and fro, trying to keep up with the constant influx of wounded soldiers. The sight was pitiful. Everywhere were half-conscious and unconscious bodies, with severed arms and legs, bloodied faces, bandaged heads and torsos. Moans and cries of pain crowded the air.

Endrick's eyes were closed, his body pale.

"Is he..." Skylar did not have the heart to finish the question.

Dr. Beezin laid a hand on Endrick's chest and stuck his ear next to Endrick's mouth. Skylar felt as if his heart would seize up and die before the doctor finished his diagnosis.

"No, not dead," replied the doctor. "Very nearly, but not dead. I shall do what I can for him."

"You must restore him to health. I could not bear his loss after I've lost so many."

"All I know to do, my prince, shall be done for him. You have my promise. In the meantime, I suggest you take a bath. You all smell horrendously foul."

Skylar smirked, remembering the sewer and the abandoned cloak. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"It is time," said Krom.

With a bow of his head and a final glance at Endrick, he turned to leave the infirmary. Though his heart yearned to stay by Endrick's side, his duty called him on one final mission.

No one tried to stop them as they burst into the court. Captain Arturo had insisted on bringing a full company of soldiers to escort Skylar and his companions. Tarus' guards put up a moderate show of defending their king. But it was only a show. Skylar passed through straight to the throne steps without even lifting his sword. Tarus' men-at-arms simply parted the way for him—not out of fear, but a reverence for him who they deemed more worthy of the throne.