»8. Kiss It Better«

This chapter is dedicated to sarastyles32  for the cover she made for Disarming Dakota (I think they changed their account name).

+ + + 

Dakota's P.O.V.

I was approximately seventy-five percent certain I was going to die on my first day back from winter break.Heath thought I was overreacting, but if anything, I was preparing myself for the worse. During the last weeks of school—after the break up—Silvia had grown a strong friendship with Pierson and his friends.

They were fairly popular.

I wasn't anymore.

They were fairly rich.

I definitely wasn't. I could barely pay for gas, and that was on most days of the week.

Pierson already hated me before the break up. After the break up, it was even more clear that Pierson had some kind of plan to screw me over. I didn't know if the last day of school prank was his only jab at my nonexistent social life, but I had a gut-wrenching feeling that he had something else in store for me. I called nearly every day during winter break to make sure my request to switch over to Boulder Valley High went through or not, but because of the recent fires, Boulder Valley got a high influx of students pouring into their system. My request was pushed back, meaning it was inevitable for me to return to Crescent High. 

I would've purposely ditched the first day back, but Dion had slept over at my mom's place. I could think up a long list of things I'd rather do than be stuck with him at home.

There was a perk with living in two different homes. Whenever I got in a fight with my brother, I could stay at mom's house. If I had some issue with my mom that day, I could crash over at Dion's apartment.

I had two of everything. There was nothing wrong with having two different beds to sleep in, two different kitchens to make food in, and two different laptops to watch porn on. If one got a virus, it was okay. I had another one to fuck up.

Dion was messing up the purpose behind living in two different homes by staying here after what happened with Carmen. How was I supposed to stay away from him if he was snoring down the hall in his old room?

I knew what he was trying to do. He was attempt to make any excuse to talk to me. I had told him that I wasn't mad anymore, but he didn't believe me. I wasn't lying. I wasn't mad at him for messing-up my relationship with Silvia and I wasn't mad at him for sleeping with Carmen. Mad wasn't right word to go for.

I was fucking disappointed in him. There was a difference.

Going to school wasn't up for debate. I couldn't stay. Around seven-thirty, I was in the school parking lot, waiting during the last few minutes until the first bell would ring.

One on one, I wasn't afraid of fighting someone. But Pierson was one of those people who brought an army of his friends along, even though he could do perfectly fine on his own. He had brought a lot of people to the Smell last semester just to confront Heath.

I didn't like people who fought unfairly. There was a nine out of ten chance he would bring someone with him if he planned on beating me up.

"Why are you still sitting in your car? The bell is going to ring soon."

I was startled at the random voice, appearing out of nowhere. Heath stood outside of car, peering at me from the driver's seat window with a puzzled expression. I was the one who was supposed to be confused, not him.

"What the hell?" I hissed, unbuckling my seatbelt and opening the car door. "Why aren't you at Boulder Valley High?"

"I don't go to Boulder Valley anymore." He said while thrusting a yellow sheet of paper at me. It was a schedule.