Buzz Kill (Kyle)

2013

"Come on, babe. There's always going to be a bunch of other sorority parties! Just skip this one so we can stay in our PJs and stay up all night cuddling and watching movies." I begged, giving Kyle, my boyfriend of 4 years, my best puppy dog eyes.

"Uh, babe you know I can't say 'no' to that face! Fine, we can stay in tonight." Kyle said in an jokingly angry tone.

I smile brightly up at him. I leaned up and quickly pecked his soft pink lips. "I'll go pick out some of our favorite movies and set up the tv. You, mister, go change into your PJs and meet me back when your done." I said lightly patting his chest.

"Yes, ma'am!" Kyle said with a breathy chuckle.

As Kyle left towards our shared room in our apartment, I made my way to the movie display stand to pick out some movies. As I passed by the coffee table, I picked up the tv remote and clicked the 'on' button.

"Shit... is the Playstation on Video 1 or Video 2?" I mumbled to myself going through the source menu on the tv.

Just as I was about to call Kyle to ask him, the news anchor from the channel the tv was currently on said something that made my heart stop.

"We are here live in front of what seems to be a sorority party where a party bus mysteriously tipped and roll down the street. Sources say that a group of sorority brothers were on the bus during the incident. So far, firefighters have not been able to find anyone who is alive. More to come. Jessica, back to you."

"Kyle!" I screamed.

I recognize that sorority house and that street. I recognized some of the people who were outside watching in aw at the flipped over bus.

I heard heavy footsteps run into the living where I was.

"Babe! What's wrong? Are you okay?" Kyle asked, worry dripping from his tone.

I merely pointed to the tv. Kyle walked up next to me to get a better view at the tv.

"We have just been informed by a group of students who attend the party that say the sorority in the bus was Kappa Lambda Gamma. Firefighters still have not been able to recover anyone who is alive. We will provide a list of names of the victims as soon as we hear word." The reported spoke into the microphone.

"Shit. No, no, no, no." Kyle said in disbelief. He backed away until he fell onto the couch behind us.

I sat beside him and grabbed his hand. We waited for the list of names to see if it really was his friends who died; neither one of us said anything.

After a couple minutes, the reported spoke up again, "as of right now, we only have two names; Archie Wayward and Brennan Brown. More names to come."

Kyle quickly grabbed the remote from my hand and clicked the tv off and threw the control to the grown.

"My friends are dead. All of them. They're all dead!" Kyle breathed out in disbelief.

Kyle looked up at me and his eyes twinkled with realization, "that could have been me! Us! We could of been killed!"

"Kyle..." was the only thing I could say. I was speechless, to say the least.

"If you hadn't had convinced me to stay home, we could have been in that tangled mess of bus parts and... oh god... blood covered body parts!" Kyle spoke up, speaking a little more clearly now but his voice still trembling.

I felt a tear roll our of my eye and down my cheek at the realization of what Kyle said. Kyle quickly grabbed onto me and pulled me up against his chest holding me tight. He buried his face against my hair as I heard his sniffle, signaling that he was also crying.

"I'm so sorry, Kyle... about you friends. This shouldn't have happened!" I finally managed to speak up.

Kyle's grip on me tighten, "I'm sorry too. But I'm glad that we stayed home. God, I sound like such a selfish prick." Kyle suddenly pulled away from me.

"Hey, no! No you don't! It's okay to think like that. You're right, we could have been in that mess but our lucky stars has something else planned for us. So thank them." I calmly said, trying to reassure him.

"Yeah... yeah, you're right. I mean, I still feel like shit but you're right. We're alive." Kyle said.

"Of course you feel like shit, Kyle. In fact, it's normal that you do. They were your friends. I wasn't entirely close with them but even I feel like shit." I stood up offering my my hand for him to grab, "come on, let's skip this movie night and let's just go to bed. I'm not really in the movie mood right now."

Kyle looked up at me and grabbed my hand. We walked to our bedroom where we laid next to each other, holding one another for the rest of the night.