5; the first task

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE.

The shouts and cheers of the first trial were overwhelming. Each house sporting their colours, shouting for their own champions. Avena even had a Hufflepuff scarf wrapped around her own neck, in an effort to show support for Cedric and take a dig at Potter. Two birds, one stone. She still hadn't had the chance to apologize to the boy, by that she meant she'd had plenty of chances just not enough guts. The Grandstands surrounding the rocky arena were overflowing yet Avena stood outside the Champion's tent taking deep breathes. Her small little hands were in tight fists as she nodded trying to control her worry. This wasn't like her, and because of that put her slightly out of the motion of things.

Eventually she accepted she couldn't wait anymore and pushed open the tent. It was fancy with a bed for each Champion. She was quiet, knowing full well she'd get into trouble for being there. Cedric was wearing his Hogwart's robes, the emblem glistening on the back as he stood facing the wall. She took a few steps towards him reaching out and tapping his back. He sprung back spinning around to look at her with startled eyes. "Avena?" he exclaimed before looking around frantically, "Why the hell are you here?"

"I came to apologize," She crossed her arms looking at him with a raised eyebrow, "Is there something wrong with that?"

"You came to apologize?" a flash of a smile blessed his features.

"What I did was," She stopped searching for the right word, "wrong, and I'm sorry. I like you, and I want to see..." she trailed off her cheeks flaming, "If we have a chance."

Cedric was silent looking at her thoughtfully. This gaze made her expression harden, she'd said what she'd needed to say. There was no controlling what happened now. "Okay," he said after several more seconds, "But if you... I'm not your little plaything okay?"

"Okay," Avena nodded clapping her hands together, "Well then goodluck," She turned away walking off, sending a rude glance towards a watchful Harry Potter. Her heart seemed to be beating normally again and a sense of relief washed over her. Avena Detroit was no idiot, and she knew Cedric would be wary, but this time it was about something so much more than a petty spat with Draco Malfoy.

Avena Detroit sat in the stands next to a livid Pansy Parkinson. If looks could kill, Avena would have been in trouble. And so Avena was subjected to no end of, 'I was saving this for Draco' and that 'she didn't know how Avena hadn't forgiven him'. It made the blood Slytherin want to puke as she looked at the rock arena wondering when Cedric would compete and which dragon he would be going against. The cold wind howled around them as she pulled the Hufflepuff scarf around her neck. Noticing it sent Pansy into a new tangent of insults, none of which actually hurt but the constant white noise was annoying.

Victor Krum had gone first, casting a spell that had blinded the dragon. Whilst he had been able to retrieve the egg half of the real eggs had been smashed in the process. The event had caused roars of laughter to echo throughout the stadium as he had more than likely been docked several points.

Fleur Delacour had gone next, and been against a gorgeous Welsh Green, the girl had enchanted the dragon to sleep. The comical part had been when the dragon's snoring and been accompanied with a shoot of fire and her skirt had caught alight. Yet only Avena and a few other Slytherins had found it amusing. Her laughter had caused Draco to look over hopefully but she pointedly ignored him.

Dumbledore raised a hand silence the chatter as another Dragon was ushered into the stadium, protectively swooping towards its eggs. Avena recognized it has a Swedish Short-snout, for once having younger cousins seemed to have its advantage. "The next champion to compete is... Cedric Diggory,"

Avena stood up clapping loudly as the Hogwarts students cheered, the sound deafening. Cedric walked out in his Hufflepuff Quidditch robes causing her breathe to catch. It seemed she was more nervous for him then he was. Dumbledore looked over at someone in the distance and a cannon fired initiating the task.

Cedric stood there stoically, the Dragon not seeing him as a threat at the current moment in time. He nodded to himself mumbling something and raised his wand. A large rock some meters away turned into a Labrador sending a series of 'aws' through the crowd. The dog barked waving its tail catching the Dragon's attention. The moment it was distracted Cedric clambered over the rocks making his way towards the eggs, but more specifically the golden one that glistened in the light. Avena clapped along with the rest of the school, chanting with them. Her voice was lost in the crowd yet her hope and enthusiasm was not.

Yet unfortunately as the school quickly learnt, whilst Labradors were cute they put up a useless fight against Dragons. He was able to successfully get the egg before the Dragon knew what was going on. The roar that echoed through the stadium shock the students and the chatter stopped. Everyone looking on with baited breath, horrified to think what was going to happen. Cedric noticed this and clutched the egg closer to his chest stumbling over the rocks. The Dragon tilted its head before letting out a roar. Fire lit up the sky as Avena bite her lip leaning closer to the arena.

Cedric speeded up running towards the open gate with the Swedish Short-snout sending jets of flames after him. At one point the flames seemed to graze his face but by then the doors were closed and Cedric Diggory was safe and Avena couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief.