Chapter 25: Edgy, Modern, Youth.

"I don't see why you're complaining." Iyanu said as we walked through the glass doors of the building I now called my workplace. "I mean, if anything you should be glad. I knew I would be if I gained that many followers over night."

We walked through security with nothing more than an ID card swipe. I happened to lay eyes on the security guard I had an awkward moment with when I first came to see Mr Harrings on my own. He probably still thought I had some sort of speech disability. I quickly averted my gaze away from him before I could make eye contact. Even though he was nothing but helpful in our last encounter, he still scared the shit out of me.

"I'm just still trying to get used to all of this." I replied, motioning my hands in the air as we entered the elevator. Iyanu hit the eleventh floor's button and we watched the plain, metallic doors close in front of us.

"Well, I advise you to hurry up and do so because you're going to make it big. I just known it."

I let her words sink in and suddenly everything felt so surreal. I was a model. "But what if I don't want to?" I asked in a low voice. "What if I don't want to make it big? I'm just doing this for fun. I don't know the first thing about fashion."

The elevator came to a stop and we walked out of it and onto the busy eleventh floor. People were walking around in different directions. Some carrying paperclips, others pushing racks of clothing and me looking very out of place as usual.

"There's nothing wrong with that." Iyanu stated, calming me down. "Just keep doing what you want to, the way you want to do it. You can't be forced into doing anything against your will. You can always say no, just remember that."

I mentally took note of the advice she was giving me. Iyanu shot, slaughtered and beheaded every stereotype of your average, twenty first century model. She was so much more than just a pretty face and I was so glad that I got to see that. I wrapped my arms around her neck and pulled her into a hug, thanking her for always finding the right words for when I most needed to hear them.

"There you two are." Mr Harrings excitedly clapped his hands at the sight of us. He motioned for us to follow him and so we did.

"We have a number of photo shoots planned for today." He began, turning back to face us every now and then. "Edgy, modern, youth. Those are the words I want you to keep in mind as you work."

By now, we had reached the other end of the floor. You see, the eleventh floor didn't consist of different rooms, no. It was as if all the walls had been demolished and it was one, big, open space. Mr Harrings finally stopped walking and turned to us. "Iyanu, I strategically put you and Marianne on the same list. Seeing that you two get along quite well and she's still the cute, little egg that she is."

Thanks?

"Mentor her." He ordered with his mouth but pleaded with his eyes. "Teach her the tricks of the trade until she can finally fly on her own." He then turned his attention to me. "Marianne, Iyanu's one of our best and you could definitely learn a whole lot from her."

"I can't wait to." I smiled, nudging her in the side.

"Great!" He exclaimed, clapping his hands. You'd think his hands would fall off at some point as a result of all his clapping.

He pointed at a cork board pinned on the wall behind him that I hadn't noticed before. "Look for your names and who you'll be working with and I'll pop in to check on you two every now and then. Questions?" Iyanu and I both shook our heads. With a nod and another clap of his hands, he left us to check out the lists.

We each searched for our names through them until I came across them. "Here." I said, pointing at our names in ink. "Who's Marcus Lee?"

"One of the photographers." She replied, stepping next to me to get a better look. "Looks like we're paired with Elliott and Claudia."

"There you are."

We turned to face her as soon as we heard her voice. She was wearing a bright pink tank top covered by a fitted black leather jacket. She paired them with some black, ripped skinny jeans and ankle high boots. Her outfit was pretty sick and her makeup really added to the whole edgy look, enhancing the blueness of her eyes.

Why was I noticing all these little details all of a sudden?

While I was admiring her outfit, she lunged at me and engulfed me in a hug, taking me completely off guard. "I'm a hugger." She shrugged, releasing me to hug Iyanu as well.

"I was a teensy-weensy bit drunk the day we met." She said, pinching her index finger and thumb together. "I apologise if I came off rude or arrogant or said anything to hurt you because I honestly can't even remember." A bit of colour tainted her cheeks after her little confession, making me believe her.

"It's fine." I waved in dismissal. "Nothing really happened anyways."

"Thank god." She let out a sigh of pure relief before squealing. "Oh my god but I so remember that picture you took! You're such a natural."

I awkwardly thanked her, twiddling my thumbs behind my back. "So, what do we do now?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"We meet up with the designers to get our outfits, then head to hair and makeup." Iyanu explained, beginning to walk. "Claud, since you're ready you should go to the set. Marianne and I will catch up as soon as we're done."

Claudia gave us a thumbs up. "Okie dokie." She turned to leave but quickly turned back to us, forgetting something.

"Marcus is set on the floor below us." She informed us."Elliott's already there, so once you're done, just head downstairs."

She smiled, squeezing her eyes tightly in the process and turned on her heels. Iyanu was heading in the opposite direction so I just followed her like the lost puppy that I was.

Another makeover. Oh the joy of this all. I don't know if that sounds as sarcastic as I hoped for it to but oh well. Yay!

----------

A/N:

I hate filler chapters but hey, they're necessary to get where you want to be.

Do you guys prefer scheduled updates, or should I just continue publishing them as soon as I write them? YOUR opinion matters, so please comment.

Iyanu Kali: played by V. Bozeman (Thank god for Empire).

Dedicated to Kayla-Boo_

Feel free to comment, vote, follow, whatever :')

----------