Chapter Sixty-Seven ۞ Sliver

Sorry for not updating recently. The start of the year had been hectic. My FB account got hacked and some old problems flaring up.

You can read the rest of this series (edited) on my website mylovelywriter.com.

An hour later and they were nearing the Empyrean Volcano. It was a really long flight that Valeriana's rear end was starting to burn as she sat on Amora's back. The accompanying dragons took turns in holding the net so as to give each other a chance to rest. Other than that, they stayed away from it if unneeded. It seems they were repelled by the stones more than Valeriana hoped.

The lions were guarded closely. Although they lacked the energy, they were secretly gnawing at the ropes. Whenever they did, the dragons growled at them and snapped at their limbs. This kept them from doing any funny business.

The volcano had grown much, much larger. She didn't think it would be that big at all. From a certain angle, the cone was almost perfect save for the crater on top. Glowing lava lines trailed down its sides, and there was no life within a hundred kilometers around it. The volcano was still active. She could tell it recently erupted by the cooled magma on the ground.

"Are you alright, Amora?" Valeriana asked her dragon. "Do you need to switch out?"

'My wings are starting to hurt,' Amora said. 'So, yes, I would love a switch.'

She raised her hand and yelled, "I need a switch!"

Vallore flew forward with Palmer at her call. His jade dragon steadily meandered through the air beside Amora. "I'll take it."

Amora flew to the side to prepare for the switch as Palmer got into position. Vallore was petting his dragon to keep him focused.

When the switch was successful, Valeriana could finally take a breather. The process had been done smoothly as they have been continuously doing the past few hours. The twin-tailed lions were fairly quiet, save for a few, occasional roars. She felt Amora stretching out below her, a small tremor passing through her body and wings.

'I'm so tired,' said the dragon. 'I never took a flight this long.'

"Are we almost there?" Valeriana called out to Vallore.

"Yes, fifteen minutes at most," he answered.

"I never knew the journey was so long, no wonder Gavin sought for your aid," Valeriana said. "This would've all been impossible without you guys."

"I get the reason why my mother accepted to help you," Vallore said. "We, the drakons, have responsibilities we must fulfill. Now that the dragons are strong enough, time has come for us to leave the Abyss. She meant two things when she said that," he said.

"How long have you been down there?" Valeriana asked, shifting on her seat. "If you don't mind me asking."

"For as long as I remember," he replied. "I was born in the Abyss."

"Then, how old are you?"

"A few hundreds," he told her.

"Wow," she whispered. "Where's your father?"

"He . . . is long gone. It is precisely why after my mother passes away, I will be the last of my kind. I get why she bid for the dragons to be freed from the sanctuary. After the drakons die out, they will know no one to look after them. They have to stand on their own feet."

"Look, I'm really sorry about that and I am so sorry for asking so many questions, but I really have one last thing."

"What is it?"