Chapter Nine: Stay

~ I remember the day you left... I remember the last breath you took right in front of me ~

Chapter Nine: Stay

I looked down at Max where his head rested in my lap, his body curled up cutely as he looked up at me quietly. I ran my fingers through his dark curls, soothing him quietly, making him smile sleepily. "You're cute when you're tired," I told him, twisting his hair around my fingers. He mumbled something incoherent, making me giggle. "Come again?"

Max slowly opened his brown eyes. "I should go home," he said. "But I'm not sure how safe it is considering I'm passing out in your lap."

I laughed quietly. "I'm not sure it's very safe at all."

Max sighed, readjusting in my lap. "Although I'm a liar if I say that's the only reason I don't want to leave."

I smiled. "Let me up so I can grab a pillow and blanket for you."

Max shook his head. "Just another minute?" he requested quietly, his arm sliding around my waist and his face burying itself against my abdomen. I nodded, still playing with his hair.

"Sure thing, darling," I told him, using my other hand to softly rub his back in small circles. He let out a quiet noise as he pressed himself closer.

"You're putting me to sleep," he told me, his voice muffled. I laughed lightly, not ceasing my movements.

"I know," I assured him. Max frowned.

"I don't wanna fall asleep on you," he whispered. I laughed, leaning over and kissing his cheek.

"I wouldn't mind," I assured.

Max suddenly shifted, sitting up beside me. "I would," he said, settling for resting his head on mine instead. "It can't be very comfortable to fall asleep with a grown Max laying in your lap."

I laughed a little, feeling his arms snake around my waist. "You're so comfy," he chuckled. I smiled, slowly separating from him, quickly grabbing a spare pillow and blanket from my linen closet. He was standing when I came back, rubbing his eyes sleepily. I took his hand, slowly tugging him towards the hallway.

"Here," I said, opening the door to the spare bedroom. "You can crash here tonight."

Max nodded, giving me a tired smile and kissing the top of my head. "Thanks, Simmy," he said. I nodded, letting him wrap me gently in his arms for a moment. "Goodnight, lovely..."

I chuckled. "Goodnight, Max..." I said, pulling away. I watched him lay down, making himself comfortable and closing his eyes, making me smile as I leaned over and kissed his cheek, running my hand along his hair. "Sweet dreams," I whispered, leaning up again and walking towards the door, leaving and shutting it behind me.

"Oh god..." I whispered, staggering back against the door as a migraine exploded through my temples out of nowhere. I pressed the pad of my palm against the side of my head as I blindly stumbled to the kitchen, flicking off the light to ease the pain. I slowly made my way over to the counter, feeling around for my peppermint oil and my migraine medicine, bracing myself as I took two pills dry and rubbed oil on my temples. I fumbled around my apartment, ending eventually on my couch with my head buried deep in a pillow.

"Someone shoot me in the foot..." I groaned, though the noise and effort it took to even whisper the words was enough to cause pain to surge through my body. The harsh pulses weren't slowing yet, and it was getting worse and worse.

I must've passed out from the pain at some point, because I was suddenly jerked out of a rough, restless sleep. For a moment I was confused as to what had woken me, before I heard it again.