51. And The New Year

After Christmas, Harry met with Dr

After Christmas, Harry met with Dr. Martin and Dr. Durand. He was thrilled to learn that Dr. Martin would indeed give him credit for the entire proposal. When he told me after work, I jumped and squealed, saying, "See? I knew it! I knew he would listen to you." 

"And you know what the best part was?" He asked gleefully. "He confronted her right there, in that meeting. So I got to see her reaction!" He went on to describe how at first, she denied any such thing, saying she came up with the idea all on her own, which Martin didn't believe for a second. Then she just shut her mouth tight and refused to speak for the rest of the meeting. "When we left, she said, 'I hope you're happy with yourself' in a bitchy tone of voice. So I answered, 'Why yes, I'm actually quite proud of my hard work, thank you.' You should have seen the look on her face." 

"I bet!" I giggled. "What a piece of work. I'm proud of you." 

"I don't know if I would have gone back to discuss it with Dr. Martin if it hadn't been for you," he admitted, revisiting the question I'd asked him before.

"It doesn't matter," I said. "You stood up for yourself and you were rewarded for your hard work." 

His loving kiss was all the thanks I needed. 

My parents were arriving on the evening of December 30, planning to ring in the New Year with us and our friends. I was excited for everyone to meet them and Chloe. Earlier in the day, Harry and I went shopping for the New Year's Eve party. He asked what Chloe liked to eat, and everything I mentioned made its way into the cart. We bought a ton of food for hors d'oeuvres as well as prime rib for New Year's Day, which Harry insisted he would roast, no matter how tired he was. The hard part was deciding on drinks. I didn't want him to be tempted, but he insisted that he couldn't throw a party without alcohol. With a little nudging, he let me pick out most of the liquor. 

"I'll stay by your side the whole night and we'll drink Sprite together, okay?" I grinned. 

"You don't have to, Ell. I would expect you to drink champagne at midnight."

"Nope, I picked up a bottle of sparkling cider just for you and me. We won't even notice the difference because we'll be so busy with our New Year's Eve kiss," I teased, and then he stole a kiss from me right there in the liquor aisle. 

We passed a section of kids' videos and Harry went a little crazy, buying anything he thought Chloe would like, and then he picked out a stuffed unicorn near the check out lane. I looked at him with curiosity and he said, "What? I want her to have something to snuggle with at night." 

"Seems like you're ready to be a daddy," I said with a wink. 

A silly grin crossed his face. "Yeah, I guess. Maybe it's something about getting older, but I'm ready to start my own family...our family," he said, leaning in to kiss me. The thought thrilled me to my bones.