The Ride of Sir Kay and Bedivere

As Ector left for the Lady of the Lake, Merlin tasked Bedivere and Kay with finding their former comrades still in England while Merlin went to gather those who had journeyed the Holy Land on crusade. The two rode down a road laying across a large field of wheat and corn. A famer and his son were tending to their fields when Sir Kay came up to them.

“Greetings sir, may I ask a question?”

The farmer looked up, revealing the farmer to be a woman. Kay was stunned and was quickly thinking of to say. “Do not worry good sir. I know the lord has not blessed me with the face of Venus, and of course this living does not permit female clothing to work best here.”

Kay still apologized and asked who was the lady’s lord. “Why Lord Elyan, he came to these lands when his father relinquished his lands and uncle and grandfather passed.”

Sir Kay leaned to Sir Bedivere, “She must be referring to Bors, Sagramore and King Brandegoris.”

Sir Bedivere replied, “With that much territory and power he could’ve become the new king of the whole island.”

“Aye, but I want to see how the years have treated him before we make that judgment. Let me ask the woman where we can find him.”

The lady told them where to find her lord, and shortly they came upon Elyan’s castle. The porter came out and asked their business. Sir Kay asked the porter if the lord could see them.

The porter answered, “I would have to see good sir, for the lord busy with tasks that require great concentration from him for he rules these lands.”

“We know, can we see him?”

“I will have to see, for since the fall of Camelot, our lord has been tasked to protecting these from enemies that try to takeover these lands for their devices. And since he has been our lord, it has been his duty to prevent that from happening.”

“Yes, we understand that. Can we see him?”

“This is a question that I must bring forward to the lord, for if he is tasking upon a new endeavor, he may not be able to find the time to meet you. For due to his charge by the late King Arthur, it is the duty of Elyan the White to keep peace and order to the lands of his rule so as to avoid undue blood shed and death.”

As he spoke, a guard approached the porter. “It’s time for my watch, go back to the barracks.”

“Of course, for…”

“Yeah, we get the point. Go-to-the-barracks-now!”

The porter left as the replacement turned to the knights. “I’m assuming you want to see King Elyan?”

Sir Kay said responed, “Yes. And what is up with that porter?”

“He likes to hear the sound of own voice.”

“I can imagine that.”

“If you’ll excuse me, I’ll let my lord know of your arrivals.” The porter left and then stopped. “I beg your pardon, but could I get your names. It’s a security policy our lord has been using for a while now I’m afraid.”

Kay pleasantly said, “Tell the lord if he doesn’t come out to greet an old friend, I’ll break this off this branch and beat him to death with it. He will know what that means.”

The porter felt, somewhat apprehensive at Sir Kay’ comment, and shortly Lord Elyan came out, riding hard towards the knights. “God’s grace! I did not imagine to see you two ever again.”

“Why, did you think we were dead?” asked Sir Bedivere.

“No, but the anarchy that has come since…times have been a little hard for many of us. A lot of old friends and houses have seen their ends from everything that’s happened. But come in, come in. We have much to talk about.”