She Remembers

Kai froze. He swore he heard her say that. He heard her say that right? Slowly, he turned to face her. She hung her head low as she pressed her hands to the glass, panting. Panting? Kai frowned, why was she panting?

"Ashley?" He asked quietly. No response. He took a step closer to her cell, eyeing her closely. She made no eye contact, her eyes fixed to the ground, her body heaving. Confused and worried, Kai bent down and tried to make eye contact with her. "Ashley." He repeated firmer, failing to hide the worry in his voice.

"Bishop!" He called, whipping his heard around searching for the scientist. His head popped out from behind his computer, "Yes?".

"Come here for a second..." Kai beckoned, gesturing him towards him.

Bishop got off his chair and scurried to Kai quickly, "What's wrong?" He asked. Kai turned his attention back to Ashley, "Look at her." He whispered unintentionally. "What's happening?" He asked.

Bishop narrowed his eyes thoughtfully as he crouched next to Kai. Both of them just staring up at the girl, panting, wheezing, as though she was running a marathon. "Ashley! Ashley are you okay?" Kai called to her through the glass.

"Kai..." She managed, coughing; she shook her head violently. "He's in my head." she whispered.

Kai's heart skipped a beat, "Who? Who's doing this to you?" He demanded.

She glanced up and Kai's chest tightened at the face he saw. Pained, pale and she looked...weary. Like she was going to collapse any time. Her eyes squinted at him, her lips quivered. Kai's heart ached at the sight before him. He'd seen angry Ashley, happy Ashley, controlled Ashley, but never her in this state and it was hurting him, so so bad.

"He took me..." She wheezed, coughing and gasping. "He took me to that..." She paused, that was it. Suddenly he saw the red in her eyes again, barely a glow. "Ashley! Wait, tell me. Let me help you!" Her legs gave way, she collapsed to the ground. Her eyes trained to the floor once again, her panting had slowed and she was now breathing steadily but heavily. Bishop and Kai just stood there, unsure how to react, unsure how to feel. Kai's brain was swirling with a million thoughts and emotions. He teeth shut tight, grinding at each other as his heart pounded. Then she was gone. She looked up, the pain and fear disappeared from her eyes and anger and hatred returned to her face. Kai's face fell and his his shoulders drooped, he had her for that moment, he couldn't believe he just lost her again. "Get out of my face, ninja." She spat. That just hurt even more. Kai opened his mouth for a retaliation but shut it. He took a step back, got up and left. The screen turning back into a black wall so that they may now see nothing.

"Kai?" Bishop asks, unsure of how to address what just happened. Kai shook his head, "It's alright, I'm fine. I just..." He turned to face Bishop. His eyes betrayed the fury and new found strength he now felt. "I just know what I need to do now."