27; Bad dates, new discoverings, and awkward paintings

Zayn

As soon as I get back to my dorm, I delete the recording. But I know the damage has already been done.

Because she heard it.

And I know I didn't walk in on her during the part she said I did. I could feel her lying. And when I walked in, she looked so pale and so dazed, and I just know she heard it all. The ending. The worst part.

But I have no idea what I was thinking when I recorded it, because none of it's true. I hope she knows that. I got to know her, and I hated it. She's just like I thought she would be. And her smile? Nothing special about it.

I chuck my MP3 on my bed and lean against the closed door, letting out a deep, heavy breath. I knew this recording would come back to haunt me. Even though I swore I deleted it. And, god, how am I going to look Violet in the eye now? She probably thinks I have this huge, undying crush on her. But really, I won't have to see her much. I'll just try and avoid her more than I usually do.

"You're such an idiot, Zayn," I sigh to myself.

"Hmm, I agree," a voice startles me. I jump about a mile and see Avery standing by the bathroom door, a wide grin inked on her face.

"Jesus Christ!" I yell. "How long have you been in there?!"

She ducks her head and laughs. "The door was open when I came in and I needed to use the toilet."

"And you couldn't use any other toilet in the whole school?"

"You kiddin'? These school toilets are foul. And anyway, I was coming to see if Niall was in and then I needed to pee. Then I heard you insult yourself." She cocks her head to the side. "Why?"

I sigh and sit down on my bed. I'm so used to Avery and her strangeness now. She's so much like Niall, and I've learnt to live with the both of them. "Nothing. Don't worry."

"Obviously something is the problem. Come on, tell me," she pushes.

"It's nothing. Really."

"Zaynnnn."

I hesitate, wondering how I can word this. I look up at her, my hand on my jaw. "I made a mistake. A horrible, horrible mistake. And someone found out. And I don't really know what to do about it."

She looks back at me, her face confused. Then, she smiles and nods. "Is this about Brittany?"

"What?" I splutter. Brittany? Why does she always have to be the centre of attention?

Avery sits down on Niall's bed. "You made a mistake by dumping her and you told her, but now she won't take you back. Am I right?"

I blink, mouth open. "What?" I repeat. I shake my head. "No, look, Avery-," I pause. Avery's Violet's best friend; I can't tell her. Lying seems so much simpler than the truth right now. "Yeah," I tell her. "No, yeah. That's exactly what it is. What a dilemma, huh? Golly."