Chapter Six - An Evening Visit

Chapter Six – An Evening Visit

"Good evening, Doctor."

Jonathan stepped aside to allow the distinguished man into the building. Ducard entered, his hands held calmly behind his back, followed by two other men.

"What can I do for you?" Jonathan inquired as he shut the door behind them and turned to face Ducard and his two... guards, as he assumed they were.

"Nothing much, Doctor. Just here to make sure things are going according to schedule. The great Ra's al Ghul will be arriving in Gotham within the month and I must be assured that everything is in order." Ducard explained, and Jonathan nodded his head.

"Yes, everything is going according to plan. The toxin is being dispersed into the water supply without any complications." Jonathan nodded, watching Ducard pace slightly down the hall, looking around.

"Good," The man nodded his head in approval. "What about Mr. Falcone? The shipments have been arriving on time? No delays?"

"No delays. He's been asking for a number of favors though. I'm scheduled for a hearing on Monday to move Victor Zsasz, one of Falcone's men, into Arkham through an insanity plea. This isn't the first one either. I believe I'm beginning to attract some attention."

Ducard turned to him with a frown, looking thoughtful for a moment.

"Tell him no more favors. We can't have anyone catching on, especially not at this point... do you always leave weaponized hallucinogens laying around your apartment, Doctor?"

Jonathan looked confused before he noticed the syringe Ducard had picked up off the top of the washing machine in the small open utility room. Jonathan swallowed but kept a calm look on his face as he shook his head.

"No, I merely forgot I put it down. My apologies." Jonathan spoke briskly, and Ducard gave him a calculating look before he pocketed the syringe.

Not even one of the four men noticed the door to the master bedroom click open ever so slowly, nor did they notice the pair of brilliant blue eyes that peered out of the crack.

"I expect no failures, Doctor. I want this plan to go off without a hitch and I'm trusting you to pull it off. Make sure everything runs smoothly." Ducard spoke, and Jonathan nodded his head.

"Of course. The last shipment is on Thursday evening. Perhaps some extra security can be added to ensure everything goes according to plan." Jonathan assured him confidently, earning a smirk and nod from the man opposite him.

"Good. You know to contact me if anything goes awry."

"Yes, of course."

"Then I believe we shall be on our way." Ducard announced, giving Jonathan another smirk that masked the face of a mercenary.

Ducard turned to his men, and Nora adjusted her footing at the wrong time.

"Oh, and what's this..?" Ducard inquired, stepping towards the master bedroom and causing Jonathan's eyes to widen.

The man pushed open the bedroom door, causing Nora to stumble back, clutching the stuffed fox while she shook in fear. Ducard observed her for a moment, before he turned to face Jonathan with a rather stern look.

"You didn't inform me that you had children." He spoke calmly, though Jonathan could see the disapproving look in his eyes.

"I wasn't aware until yesterday," Jonathan explained quickly. "She was brought into my care after her mother was deemed unfit to care for her."

Ducard observed Jonathan silently for a moment, considering this information.

"She is your child by blood?"

"Yes."

"Very well," Ducard sighed, looking down at the little girl who stood, quivering in the door, looking over at Jonathan. "But if she proves to be a problem, or distraction to your work, Doctor, we have the means to dispose of her."

Jonathan was silent as Ducard and his men walked to the door, pulling it open. The two guards exited, leaving Ducard paused in the doorway, looking back at Jonathan.

"We will be in touch, Doctor... the great Ra's al Ghul does not accept failure."

With that, he left, closing the door of the apartment behind him with a light click. Jonathan stood, silent for a moment, before moving calmly over to the door and locking it, securing the apartment for the evening.

Nora watched silently as he did this, before he turned and walked over to her, looking down from where he towered above her.

"I thought..." Jonathan began, eyes narrowed and tone one of annoyance that only caused Nora's trembling to worsen. "I thought I told you to stay in the bedroom."

The small girl looked down at the ground, avoiding Jonathan's gaze the best she could.

Sighing, Jonathan knelt down to her level and reached out to gently place his hands on her shoulders, and, when she didn't look up, he gently touched her chin and tilted her face up. Jonathan blinked in surprise when he saw the tears falling silently down her flushed cheeks.

"Nora, why are you crying?" Jonathan questioned, and Nora pulled her face away from his grip and lowered it again, her brunette hair falling over her face.

Jonathan opened his mouth to say something, but, couldn't find the words.

"Please don't hurt me..."

The dark haired man stared at the trembling form of the child in front of him, begging him not to cause her any harm. Jonathan knew he never would, but, of course that was what Nora would be expecting, having been raised the way she was.

She reminded Jonathan of himself. The way he'd plead with his grandmother not to hurt him. The way he'd be quiet in fear of saying the wrong thing and getting punished.

Silently, Jonathan reached forward and wrapped his arms around the little girl.

Nora tensed slightly at the embrace, but, slowly relaxed as she realized what it was. Jonathan silently stroked her hair as she cried into his shoulder, trying his best to comfort her in the only way he could figure out how.

"I'm not going to hurt you, Nora. I'm not like her, you're safe with me." Jonathan whispered to her, holding the little girl close to him, her face in the crook of his neck.

Jonathan sighed, standing up and pulling the little girl with him, holding her securely in his arms.

"I think it's time for you to get some sleep, Nora." He told her, and she was silent as he carried her into the spare bedroom, setting her down and handing her nightgown to her.

Once she had changed and was settled in bed, Jonathan made to leave the room, his hand about to hit the light switch when Nora's soft voice sounded.

"...you won't leave me, will you?"

Jonathan paused, the question asked by her fragile voice sounded in his mind. He thought of his plans to sign adoption papers at the end of the week. He thought of how she would be better with a happy couple as her parents.

He wasn't sure if he was lying or telling the truth when he responded.

"No. I won't."