Chapter 17

The drive was silent. Aaliyah stared out of the passenger side window, solemnly watching the other cars pass.

Julia finally spoke, breaking the awkward silence.
"Aaliyah, Lilli is a very sweet girl. It just takes her time to adjust. She's everything like her father, the sweet side of him that is, and intelligent beyond belief for her age. Don't let this destroy you. If you actually love him."
There was no reply and nothing else was said for the rest of the ride. Aaliyah didn't want to feel utterly confused and used but she couldn't help it. Love. He didn't love her and she sure as hell didn't even know if she felt love for him. The emotions were running rampant but most of all she felt stupid. She signed a contract without reading the fine print and now she's stuck in a ditch. A legal binding contract. Needing to somehow find a solution and crawl out. How could she be so gullible, to be tricked with beauty and lust.

But I'm sure even if I knew, I would've signed any way.
Aaliyah shook her head. Now was not the time for thoughts such as that. She has some love Iain. That's for sure, their intimacy made that all the stronger and clear. Over this year, her infatuation become something deeper the moment she laid in his bed. Deep down, she wanted to stay and help him. Also meet Lili.
On the surface, she wanted to run, she wanted to stay unsure. This is too much to handle and Iain is certified crazy or more gently, mentally ill.
She felt the risk but she needed to figure out if she wanted to take it.
She's always had a terrible complex of helping people when she just needed to mind her own business and leave well enough alone, for her own good but this was just too prominent to ignore.

They arrived in front of Aaliyah's home, ready to say goodbyes and be on their way.

"I hope this doesn't change anything. Deep down I know you care. I can see it.",
Rolling up the window, Julia pulled off. Having said all she had to say.

"Well I see where Iain gets his curt attitude.", Aaliyah said while watching the white Mercedes Benz drive off. She walked up her gravel path until reaching her front door.

"Always prepared...",
Stretching to get the spare apartment key from her front door arch, she walked inside her home. Not bothering to lock the door, knowing she would have to leave again soon. To either get her belongings from Iain or to meet Lilli. It's not like she could go with the ladder, each was equally risky but Aaliyah can't say she's never leaned to the dark side.

What's the worst thing that could happen?

Ruined reputation.
Lawsuit.
Damaged love life.
No job. Again.

All these things ran through Aaliyah's head. Giving her a chill that was lingering a little longer than it should.
Getting tired of just standing in her hallway thinking of her failing life, she went upstairs to shower and change.
Everyone thinks better in the shower.