Chapter Eight

Word Count: 1824

~Mara

Kaden had left the Pack the same day as my punishment, and hasn't come back for days. I've been stuck in my room the entire time, reading the odd book Coen would bring me. This would entertain me for half the day, before the ink would blur under my eyes, and I would have to set it down.

I met Kace three times a day for meals. He was silent, despite my questions. I would ask him how his day was. Ignored. When we were getting married. Ignored. Where Kaden is. Ignored.

These past days have been so boring, I've resorted to scraping patterns into the wallpaper with my fingernail, creating memories of home on the soft blue wall. Sometimes I would pray. For home. For my family. For freedom.

Other times I would cry. For Milly. For myself.

I was entertaining myself by plaiting my hair when Coen opened the door to my room. I had just finished a French plait, which I used an elastic band I found under my bed to keep it together.

He looked magnificent as ever, wearing a cloak that reached his feet. It whispered around his legs when he walked. He didn't have his sheathed sword today, which made me slightly apprehensive.

"Good afternoon," he greets. I smile at him, glad to have some contact with another being today.

"Come in," I offer. He takes in a deep breath, looking torn. The look on his face makes me realise that he's not meant to come into my room. Obviously some strict orders have been put in place without me knowing.

He surprises me though, by walking in. Instead of sitting beside me on my bed, he stands awkwardly in the middle of the room.

"I have come to keep you company. Even though I'm not a female-"

"Thank you Coen," I say honestly.

He smiles slightly. He never smiles with his teeth, I notice.

"Come sit," I say, patting the spot beside me on the bed. He stares at it as if it's a dragon about to breath fire on him if he gets close. I tilt my head on confusion.

"Sitting on an engaged ladies bed is unforgivable," he tells me. He looks down at his feet, but I still catch the blush that creeps onto his cheeks.

So I decide to slip down onto the floor, crossing my legs over. Coen chuckles slightly at my way of meeting in the middle, and sits down in front of me.

"Do you believe in mates?" I ask, after a few moments in silence. My words seems to have a great affect on him. It's as if a huge burden has settled on his shoulders, weighing him down. Did I say something wrong?

"I do," he tells me. This surprises me. From what Kace has said, it doesn't seem like Vengeance Pack members are accustomed to believe in mates, or even true love for that matter.

I decide I need to ask, "Do you have one?"

He nods slowly, his eyes glazing over. He stares onto space for awhile, delving back into memories I'm not aware of.

"I do."

He sounds so sad, it makes my heart ache. Mates bring you joy, and happiness. Maybe Kaden forbids him from being with her?

"She rejected me."

I cringe. How stupid could I be to bring this subject up when it's obviously something he doesn't want to talk about.

"I'm sor-"

"Don't be. She found someone else, and that's it," he said, a look in defeat in his eyes. Paleness seems to consume his complexion all of a sudden. He looks sick.