xxiv; forever a brother

Dick Karter was a detective, a brother, had been a son way back when his parents had been alive. Right now, he played the second of those, a scared brother who wanted to desperately protect the only thing he had left, by keeping her from the dangers that haunted the very city at night. But she'd thrown herself in them, tossed herself into a pit of danger and uncertainty, and Dick wasn't sure he could lug her back.

So he glared at Dan Howell and he shook his head, curled his lip back in a snarl. "Dan, go home." He said, and he leaned forward, eyes narrowed. He braced his hands on the rail, and Dan watched as his arms shook, watched as the fury twisted Dick's face. He winced.

So Dan said, "Dick, I'm sorry." It was in the softest tone he could muster up, and his brown eyes reflected such sadness, devastation, guilt. His breath hitched, and he let his eyelids flutter before they closed, the lump in his throat growing bigger and bigger. There was bile in his stomach, and he lurched forward, eyes flying open. He looked to Hayley, and he reached for her hand in both of his, tears gathering in his eyes. "I'm so sorry, Hayley." He added in the shakiest voice he could.

"Dick." Analise snapped, and her voice was hard, glasses perched on her nose making her look sharper than before. "Dick, you can't be angry, you have no right." She crossed her arms over the plain gray cardigan, the white blouse under it creased and ruffled, like she'd tossed it on, like she hadn't cared when she'd tugged her arms through the sleeves. Her eyes weren't sparkling.

Dick glared to Analise, and his eyes were heavy with emotion, saddened too. He reached out and grabbed her shoulders, digging his thumbs to where her collarbones should be. "We are partners out in that world, Hathaway." He snarled, and he shook her a little bit, but it didn't faze her. "That requires an unbelievable amount of trust, and I lost mine in you now." His arms dropped, and he turned away, but this time someone managed to grasp his wrist, squeezing so hard it was painful.

"Dick," Hayley, his sister, managed in the strongest voice she had in her. "Dick, you can't pretend that I was gonna be all free of crime. Our parents, you know what they did, that had to have hurt me too."

Dick shook his head."Our parents ran out at night and sold drugs, Hayley, they shot people and came home to shoot up." The detective looked away for a moment, and then he hesitated, before his next words were spoken: "When you're allowed to come home, we're all going to meet at our house, and we're going to go over why this is such a bad damn idea, and why you guys should have at least added me in."

Dan cracked a smile, and Jimmy wrapped an arm around his shoulder, a little frightened.

"He's a brother," Hayley reassured them all, "An older one. His entire life long goal is to protect his family."

→→→

it's summer, and apparently i'm writing again!

all those lovely people that think i'm so great, give me a high five,

because in reality,

i'm trash. :-)