Chapter Thirteen: Home again, home again.

Whoop Whoop! 

Unedited as always! I wrote this super quick, and I feel like some of the verbs/ adjectives mayn't be quite right yet. I will go back eventually and fix them, but for now - enjoy!

(C)SJCLewis 2018

It was well past four o'clock by the time they turned into Heavitree road. Darcie could have cried with relief as they drew level with 153's  peeling front gate. Snatching her clothes from the back seat, she tugged open the passenger door, and would have bolted from the car without a second thought, had Bash not lent across with inhuman speed and pulled it shut again. 

"Cono!"

Though Darcie didn't understand the meaning of this furious exclamation, the anger in it's delivery plainly informed her that Bash wasn't happy at all. 

"This is stupid!"

Darcie stiffened. Glancing down at Bash's white knuckled grip on the door handle, she fought hard not to snap at him. 

"What is?" She frowned, pressing herself flat against the seat in a vain attempt to put space between them. "And could you move back, please. You're making me uncomfortable!"

Bash fixed her with an unfathomable look and watched her struggle for a few seconds before, rather reluctantly, retreating. He sighed.

"This is too dangerous!" he burst out, burying his face in his hands and groaning with displeasure. "I can smell wolves from at least three different packs here!"

Darcie scowled at him, confused and slightly irritated. "You can smell them?" she repeated slowly, as if talking to a child. "You can do that too, can you? Smell people?I suppose you are part dog!"

Bash turned his head again and peered at her, disgruntled, from between his fingers. Darcie felt her stomach lurch. She wasn't sure whether it was fatigue or just stupidity which promoted this sarcastic retort, but she instantly regretted baiting him as soon as she registered the purple tinge to his eyes. 

"Please don't." he warned and Darcie felt a thrill of fear and want rush through her, much to her annoyance. "Just...don't."

Darcie forced back the building anger and contented herself with merely narrowing her eyes at him with a half fearful, half furious expression. Bash eyed her shrewdly before turning away again and running his hands over his face with a groan.

"There isn't a chance you've changed your mind?" he asked her, his voice rather husky, tipping back his head to gaze, unseeing, at the roof above him. "And you'll come back with me?"

Darcie snorted incredulously.

"Not a chance!"

Bash nodded slowly and sighed in a distant, exhausted sort of way.

"Yeah I didn't think so!" 

He paused and Darcie squirmed impatiently, watching as his eyes seemed to glaze over in a state of preoccupation. She could practically see the cogs whirring in his head as the entire weight of their predicament rose up and pressed in on him. After a moment more, he sighed again and tipped his head back to refocus his gaze on Darcie's pale, disgusted face. He pursed his lips resignedly and pulled the keys from the ignition.

 "C'mon then!"

Without waiting for a response, Bash hopped out, strode around the front of the car and pulled open Darcie's door. Darcie started dumbly at him.

"Er, what are you doing?" she demanded, rather stupidly. 

Bash blinked at her, his eyes very bright in his tanned face.