Chapter 1 (edited)

Hey guys, here is the first chapter. I hope you all like it. So please Read, Comment, Vote, and Enjoy!!!!

****************************************************************************************************

Liza was nervous. In fact, saying that she was nervous would be an understatement. Liza's relationship with heels had always been messy and the fact that she was wearing sky-high heels only increased her chances of falling flat on her face or breaking her ankle, she took each step carefully as she walked down towards the aisle. Wedding bells were ringing and the whole place was full of people. There was a smile on everybody's face and they were carrying beautifully wrapped presents, their shiny wraps glistening under the soft rays of the setting sun. It was an evening wedding.

She could hear the faint crash of waves that were clashing with each other creating soft music. She took a deep breath and tried to calm herself. She tried to focus anywhere except of the fact that she could tip anytime and make a fool of herself. The wedding march started and a beautiful piece was played on the piano. Liza's hold on the bouquet in her hand tightened. Soon they were at the aisle and Liza released the breath she had been holding.

Jonathan tightened his tie and gave himself a once over. He was wearing a charcoal gray suit with a grey vest and soft salmon shirt under it. He had no idea why he had agreed to do it. He ran his hands through his hair giving them a messy but stylish look and left. The wedding he was attending was on a beach in California. Initially, he was against the idea but then Alice had insisted that he should go. He wondered why Alice wanted to put him through so much torture, she knew he would hate attending the wedding, and yet she had insisted that he attend it.

He took a seat at the back. He was also carrying a gift like others. He had never imagined that after so many years of chasing, it would finally come to this. He looked around lazily trying to find a familiar face but finding no one worth talking to he pulled out his cell phone and called Dave inquiring him about how things were going. Jonathan was forced to end the call when the wedding march started playing and the bride entered with her bridesmaid. It was then when Jonathan saw her.

It had been four years since he had last seen her. Her hair was down in beautiful curls, her eyebrows were furrowed as she tried to focus on not tripping. She looked like a vision in her dress. He had pinned over her for four years only to find her at the place he had always refused to visit. He wondered if it was too late now if she had someone else to love. His heart insisted on whisking her away from the wedding but a rational part of him snubbed that urge. He looked at her as if he had seen the sun for the first time and suddenly his world felt brighter. And then a shot of pain struck him like a lightning bolt as he remembered the words in her last letter. She would never accept me he thought. 

Jonathan watched as she reached the aisle and let out a breath of relief, it wouldn't have been evident to anybody else but to Jonathan, it was clear as day, his eyes were focused only on her. She wasn't looking at him. She was staring straight in front of her and he wished that he could look in her warm chocolate eyes even if it was just for a moment.

The whole wedding ceremony was a blur. Liza's trance-like state was broken as she heard the words 'I do' being said. She looked at Krista standing before her. She looked beautiful in the wedding gown. Krista and George leaned in for a sweet kiss as the priest pronounced them as man and wife. Liza hadn't even realized that her eyes were slightly moist. She had never been very close to Krista, she had always been her bosses' daughter to her. When Krista had asked her to be one of her bridesmaids, Liza had been shocked but she had agreed. Liza pulled up her salmon-colored gown slightly as she got down from the aisle. She took a glass of wine from the waiter that was passing by and found a secluded corner.

Liza didn't know anybody except the people the publishing house did business with. Margaret the former editor in chief had retired a month back and in her place, Liza had been appointed. Liza had been extremely happy when she had been given the news. She finally had everything her dream job, an awesome family everything except love. She looked at people dancing. Fairy lights lit up the makeshift dance floor and soft songs were playing in the background as couples swayed to the music. Krista's wedding was reminding Liza of her own wedding, it was scraping the old wounds and causing her pain. she hated feeling vulnerable. Liza had thought that she was over all of it but she couldn't really erase that part of her life. So she stood there in the corner, sipping wine as she watched the couple in love dancing.

"May I have this dance?" a voice asked. Liza looked up to see that a very handsome stood in front of her. She recognized him as the best man. "I am sorry but I don't dance," Liza said politely declining his offer. Although he was attractive Liza didn't have even slightest interest in him. "Aw come on, only one dance. Please," he said giving her a pleading look. "Okay, but just one dance" Liza relented. He led her to dance floor and they began swaying to the music. He had his hands wrapped around her waist and she put her hands on his shoulders. "I am Steve by the way. Steve Clement" he said. "Steve Clement as in the author of the 'A million miles away' Steve Clement," Liza asked incredulously. "Yep, the one and only" he replied smirking.

 "you are not old" Liza blurted out, flushing as soon as she realized what she had just said. Steve chuckled. "I mean, I thought that the writer of such a wonderful book would some experienced old guy but you are pretty young," she amended "Thank you for the compliment" he smirked "It was not a compliment. I was merely stating a fact." Liza threw back. "Whatever you say.  You haven't introduced yourself yet. May I know the name of the beautiful lady I am dancing with?" he asked "Oh, I am Liza Nestor. Editor in Chief of The Book Worm publishing house." she replied. "Were you the one who sent back my first draft saying that a kid would have made fewer mistakes" he arched an eyebrow. "Oh no. That was Margret but I wish it had been me." Liza giggled.

Jonathan had always thought of Krista as a nuisance. She was the wild child of Leslie Santiago. Tabloids were always full of her new misadventures and her latest boy toys. It had come as a shock to Jonathan when he had received her wedding card, announcing her wedding to George Hamilton. George was one of the most disciplined men Jonathan had ever met. He was responsible and serious nothing like Krista and he wondered how a man like George had fallen for a girl like Krista, seeing them dancing together anybody could tell that they were in love. Krista glowed with happiness as George swayed her to the rhythm. He remembered how Liza used to look like that whenever they were together unable to look at them anymore Jonathan's eyes slipped to the couple dancing close to George and Krista.

He saw as Liza danced with some guy, moving gently to the music. They were laughing over something. Jonathan wanted to go over there and snatch her away from him. His hands fisted and suddenly he felt himself move forward towards Liza. "Can I cut in?" he asked. His eyes fixed on Liza. "Yeah sure" the guy said. "I hope we see each other again Liza," the guy said winking at Liza, and Jonathan resisted the urge to punch him in the face.

Liza stared at Jonathan unblinking. She didn't even notice Steve leaving, her eyes stayed fixed on the man in front of her. The man who she had given her heart, the man who had broken her heart and the man who still somehow made her heart flutter. "Long time no see Liza," he said as the couples around them continued to sway blissfully to the tune of music unaware of Liza's thudding heart and Jonathan's nervous gaze as they stood in front of each other for the first time after four years.

*****************************************************************************************************************

Sooo... they finally met each other after four years. I bet some of you thought it was Liza's wedding in the beginning, didn't you? Anyways I hope you all enjoyed the chapter. Do tell me what you all think about the chapter. I will see you guys later. Bye. Love you.

~ TheSarcasticBrunette