The Last Goodbye

I don’t believe you

And I never will

The drive back to Spencer’s apartment was quiet. You were seething in anger at the fact that he had turned up at the club and had pretty much accused you and Evan of having an affair in front of all of your friends.

This wasn’t the first time he’d insinuated such things, this wasn’t even the first time you’d fallen out over this. But this was the first Spencer had pushed you past the point of no return.

You’d been dating him for two years and for the most part, it was great. He was sweet and caring, and he made you laugh. He was the perfect boyfriend it seemed at first. He’d also known from day one that your best friend was a guy and at first, he told you he accepted it. Him and Evan seemed to get on well, Evan had told you he liked Spencer, he tried to get to know him on a one to one basis inviting him out so the two could bond. Evan tried, and Spencer tried too. At first.

But then he’d start to moan whenever you went out with your friends and Evan was there. It didn’t matter that Spencer was invited, he always chose not to come. It didn’t matter if Spencer was out of town so the fact that you were out wasn’t even impeding on any you and him time. He’d always complain. If Evan wasn’t there though he was fine.

You finally lost it with him one night and demanded to know what his problem with Evan was. His answer?

“He’s so blatantly in love with you, it’s so plain for anyone to see.”

So you’d sat and patiently explained to Spencer that A) Evan wasn’t. You two had had that discussion a long time ago. There were no feelings there whatsoever, and plus, Evan had a girlfriend. B) Even if there were any feelings there on Evan’s part, which there wasn’t; there were none there on your part. You loved Spencer and only him, and he needed to trust you.

Oh I can’t live by your side

With the lies you’ve tried to instill

And so for a few weeks, he’d been fine again. Then you noticed that if you left your phone out when you left the room, that it would be in a slightly different position when you came back in. You found yourself logged out of some of your social media accounts, meaning someone else had tried to log in. You knew what he was doing, and for an FBI Agent, he wasn’t doing a particularly good job of it.

So you called him out again. And after lying to your face and telling you that you were paranoid, he finally admitted to checking your text messages and things. And you’d fallen out again, with you threatening to leave if he didn’t trust you.

Then came the tears, the crying from him. The promises that he did trust you, it was all just because he’d never really had a relationship before, he couldn’t believe that anyone as great as you would be interested in someone like him, he’d change. Just please don’t leave him.

So you didn’t. You let him off because he HAD never really had a long term relationship before, he WAS shy and awkward and didn’t really know what he was doing. But you told him again that he needed to trust you for this to work. Trust was integral to a relationship and if he didn’t trust you, then what was the point.

I can’t take anymore

I dont have to give you a reason

Now though, as you looked at him in the drivers seat of his car, you realised that he’d never trust you. Not whilst Evan was on the scene. And you and him had been best friends since you were thirteen years old. You couldnt think of any one point where you’d given Spencer reason to doubt yours and Evans relationship. You’d been open and honest about the friendship from the start and you’d even cut down on the amount of time you texted him or spent with him. It just wasn’t worth the arguments anymore.