Piece Of My Heart - Four (Already Gone)

Another four weeks went by of life without Spencer Reid.

You kept looking at the note he'd left you, the night after you'd drunkenly called him.

"I'm working on that." He'd said.

What did he mean?

Working on what exactly?

You deeply regretted calling him, it had stirred up all the old emotions that you'd felt when you'd initially left him, the constant feeling of you missing a part of you.

But deep down, you knew you'd made the right decision.

As much as you'd loved him, and you still did love him, you both wanted different things. You couldn't make it fit.

"Remember all the things we wanted
Now all our memories, they're haunted
We were always meant to say goodbye"

Life had gone on again, and you'd finished work on a Friday night, looking forward to a bottle of wine and some take out food.

You were surprised when you checked your phone and found you had a text from him, asking if he could come over. He wanted to talk to you about something.

You messaged him back saying that you didn't think it was a good idea, what really was there left to talk about?

He persisted, begging and pleading until you told him it was okay. You knew that if you didn't, there was a chance he'd just turn up at your door anyway. Spencer could be a stubborn fucker when he wanted something.

You quickly scanned around the apartment you'd made your home. It was clean enough. Looking in the mirror you double checked your make up. Your eye liner had smudged a little bit so you neatened it up and spritzed yourself with some perfume.

Fifteen minutes later, your doorbell rang. You pulled it open to see Spencer standing there, shuffling his feet nervously.

"Hey." You greeted him with a quick smile. "Come in. Do you want a drink?"

"Erm.... No. Can we sit down? I need to say this to you now before I lose my nerve and run off."

"Alright." You led him over to your couch, unsure where this conversation was going.

"Y/N, I've been thinking a lot, about us. And why you ended it. It's all I think about actually."

He was playing with his hands, wringing them together.

"I can't stop thinking about all the good times we had and how much fun we used to have. Do you remember?"

"I do."

"I think you made a mistake. I think we should give it another go."

Oh no.

Not this.

You couldn't go through this again. This was your own fault though, you should have never have called him that night. You must have given him a false sense of hope.

"Spencer.... "

"No, hear me out. Please." He held his hands up to interrupt you and you sighed, letting him carry on.

"I saw you in the park a few weeks ago with Jessica and her little girl."

He had? That was the night.... the night you'd called him.

You waited.

"Seeing you with her... I dunno. I've seen you with kids before and it's never bothered me. This time it did." He closed his eyes momentarily as if trying to gather his thoughts.