A Reason To Cry For One Last Time - Two

The ball was going pretty much how you'd expected it to. Penelope and Morgan spent the evening flirting with each other, Hotch and Rossi spent most of their time networking and being taken aside by different people from various departments within the FBI, Emily was well on her way to being drunk and was currently being chatted up by an office boy fifteen years her junior, and you were sat nursing your third glass of wine and trying to look happy.

Spencer had been seated next to you, something that had caused a momentary glance of awkwardness between you both. It wasn't like you'd stopped talking to each other or anything like that. In fact, you'd both managed to make a big show of actually being friends and interacting with each other normally since the break up. You'd had to really. It was just..... odd that they'd chosen to seat you next to each other. JJ was on his other side, seated next to her husband Will who had managed to get the night off work and a sitter for Henry.

Being so close to what you were sure was a love triangle was interesting, the tension crackling between the three. Whenever you'd met Will before, you'd always got the distinct impression that he wasn't overly impressed with his wife's friendship with Spencer. He viewed him as a threat to their cosy little family. You wondered if he suspected what you suspected. From the looks he was giving Spencer, you figured he did.

After dinner there was dancing, the team bar you and Will hauling themselves to the floor, dancing in a group.

Will cleared his throat. "So, you and Reid no longer together?"

"Nope. Not for a while now." You took a swig of your wine, watching Will do the same.

"Mind if I ask what happened? JJ wouldn't say."

Looking the man square in the eye, you were honest for the first time in months, perhaps feeling sorry for him.

"I cheated on him Will. One night, one stupid night."

The southern gentlemans face dropped and he moved across the two empty seats so that he was sat next to you.

"And he found out?"

"I told him. I couldn't lie to him anymore. He wanted to make it work but I couldn't live with myself."

"So you risked your whole relationship by telling him?"

"I had to. Wouldn't you want to know if you'd been cheated on?"

Will took another sip of his drink and looked down at the table. "No." He mumbled. "If it was a one time mistake and nothing had come from it, then I wouldn't want to know."

You and Will watched from your seats as the tempo changed to a slower song and the team paired off, Spencer and JJ moving together.

They looked strangely uncomfortable, Spencer holding her stiffly and looking passed her rather that at her. His eyes connected with yours for a moment and he gave you a sad smile as the band started to sing. You realised why within seconds.

It was a cover of A Thousand Years, the song that you and Spencer had made your own. He was dancing to your song with someone else. Albeit, he didn't look too happy about it but he was still doing it.

You pushed your chair back and reached for your purse. The team had booked rooms in the hotel that was hosting the event, rather than having to drive home afterwards.

"Everything okay?" Will looked at you concerned.

"No. It's not. This was our song. I'm sorry Will, can you tell them I've got a headache and I've gone back to my room."

"Sure thing darlin'. Take care of yourself now." You left Will to his own thoughts and made your way back to the room, stripping off your dress as soon as you got in and sitting cross legged on the floor in front of the mini bar in just your underwear.