Chapter 96- Lost Count

Maggie and Glenn had left a while ago to find supplies. Allison left with Hershel to find Rick and I sat with Daryl, still waiting for him to wake up.

I played with his shaggy brown hair in my hands and poked the stubble growing on his face.

I wonder what was taking Maggie and Glenn so long to find supplies, the store was only a half an hour away.

I pulled my knees to my chest and counted how many people this group has lost.

I started to loose count after Otis, so many people have died, so many people have left.

Daryl stirred beside me and his blue eyes started to open. "Oh Daryl!" I whispered, cradling his face.

"What? What happened?" He murmured, rubbing his head and adjusting himself.

"You lost consciousness..." I explained. Daryl squeezed his eyes shut then popped them open again.

"Do you remember what happened?" I asked. He shook his head and I frowned.

"It's alright, do you feel okay?" I questioned. Daryl chuckled and relaxed into his pillow.

"We need to talk." I said quietly.

Daryl frowned and looked at me softly. "There ain't nothin' to talk bout." He mumbled.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean, I rushed into it and I acted like an ass bout it." Daryl commented.

I stayed silent for a moment before I reached for his hand, I loved Daryl with all my heart and all I wanted to do was spend the rest of my life with him.

Which isn't very long since the walking dead people outside prevented any kind of happiness.

"Yes." I whispered, Daryl's eyes studied my face in confusion and I bent over and grabbed the box out of his jacket.

"Yes, I'll marry you." I said clearly. Daryl gave me a warm smile, the kind you get after kissing for the first time.

It made my stomach do flips and I opened the box and handed it to Daryl. He sat up slowly and plucked the ring up out of the box.

He gently slid the ring onto my finger, making a perfect fit. "Now what?" I asked, gazing down at the ring.

"We can try to get Hershel to marry us." Daryl suggested. I nodded and twirled the ring around on my finger.

"Do you feel alright?" I asked, making sure he didn't have any more medical problems.

He nodded and the hinges to the prison door squeaked open.

"GUESS WHO I FOUND!" Allison's voice shouted.

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. "I'll be right back." I muttered before going to investigate.

Carol was leaning against Allison, and I half expected to see Rick or Tayler with them but neither of them were there.

I walked over slowly while Carol embraced the group. I had mixed feelings of Carols return.

Her outside was sweet and innocent while on the inside she would slit your throat without hesitation.

Carol smiled weakly at me and guilt shot through me, I stepped closer and gave her a small hug.

Maybe I was over thinking this, the poor women had lost so much and she was only trying to help.

I smiled warmly at her and ushered her towards her room so she could rest. I glanced around the room of survivors.

Smiles shinned brightly on their faces, Carol's return bringing them hope. Now if only we could find Rick and Tayler.

Sure enough the squeaking of the hinges made my head spin towards the door.

Rick trudged through, looking as if he's been through hell and back. But I didn't care, when he neared me I swung my arms around him and hugged him tight.

"I'm so glad you're okay!" I commented as the rest of the group caught up with our leader.

Rick nodded and I moved to go get the baby from Beth so Rick could hold her. I cradled the baby carefully and looked over to Rick and Carol sharing a warm embrace.

I smiled and shuffled towards them, my arms out stretched for Rick to carry his newborn.

Rick stared down at the baby with so many emotions, love eventually pushing through the others.

Rick started to walk to the exit and we all followed. I called Daryl and he trudged out from the room. Daryl had a short bromance with Rick, both of them catching up quickly.

Then Daryl said hi to Carol and walked to me, we intertwined our fingers as we made our way outside.

I looked back to see two unexpected people joining us outside. The new prisoners came with us, I still didn't trust them. Not after what their roommates had caused.

Rick handed the baby to Carl suddenly, all the mixed emotions gone from before.

I stared at Rick's cold, emotionless expression. He narrowed his eyes and stared at the fence line.

I turned and looked into the direction Rick was looking at. A walker was carrying a red basket, no not a walker a person!

It's a real life person!