Chapter 33

Aaliyah's POV
How dare he, make a fool out of me! I felt so humiliated. The way my mom and dad looked at me....
My leg wouldn't stop shaking and I felt Iain stare at it as he tried to focus on driving. I wouldn't talk to him...I want a divorce! Wait...how the hell do we end our marriage when it hasn't even started? That's pitiful. We're a mess, how did I ever think this could actually really work, maybe it was doomed from the start.

"I am really sorry." Iain said.

I shook my head.
"Save it, I really don't have time for you right now."

Iain frowned, stopping at a red light. He looked at me.
"Just let me explain."

"Your mother explained enough." I spat angrily.

"No, you don't understand. Yes, it's true that it'd be better for me to marry, but I didn't want to. Then I met you! And you're my everything Aaliyah. I lo-"

"Stop. Cut the bullshit. None of what you're saying is true, and you know it." I rolled my eyes.

He opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off.

"What am I to you? A sex slave? A business booster, or a lover? When you decide, you can talk to me."

Without another word, he began driving again. The rest of the ride was spent in a bitter silence, one with occasional death glares. I can't believe him. You marry someone because you love them. You marry someone because you care. You don't marry to make the chances of your company succeeding better or to become richer.

Iain pulled up to the school, and Lilli glanced at the car. After saying goodbye to her group of friends, she climbed into the car.

"Hi dad!" She cheered. "Hi Aaliyah!"

I smiled at her.
"Hi Lilli."

"Hi." Iain said.

Lilli looked at him, but stayed silent and buckled herself in.

When we got home, Iain slammed on the breaks and turned off the engine with attitude. I scoffed, he had absolutely nothing to be annoyed by.
Getting out of the car, I slammed the door, stomping my way to the mansion's front entrance.
I heard Lilli ask Iain what was wrong with me but I kept going, he should have the honors of explaining to his daughter the scheme he planned.

Entering the foyer I took off my shoes and threw them to the side before stepping inside any further, satisfied when I heard the bang of the heels against the wall. I passed the huge chandelier, ascending the stairs I passed by Lydia, the maid that I never quite paid attention to.

"Afternoon Madam.",
Stopping on the stair, I addressed her.

"Good Afternoon Lydia and please, call me Aaliyah.",
Lydia stopped descending and looked back at me with a gentle smile.

"Alright...Aaliyah. Have a nice day.",
At her using my name like I asked I tried to smile back just as kind as she did.

"You too Lydia.",

I then continued to ascend the stair case I was almost at the top too before I heard my name being called and quick steps coming up to me.

"Wait! Aaliyah dear, I'm sorry I just can't stand it. Something's wrong, isn't it?",

Shocked by her care for me, I stayed quiet a few seconds contemplating whether I should spill the beans to a maid. A nosy one at that.

"Um....",
Lydia sucked her teeth at me and gave me a hard look.

"Ai ai ai, don't you lie chica! You tell Lydia what's wrong, you'll feel better. You can't fool this old lady.",

I flinched once she started the whining, afraid she would take the duster she had in her hand and whack me with it. Well what's the worse that can happen?
Hopefully she isn't like a bank teller.... And it's not like I can confide in my parents are that whole fiasco, it would make everything worse. Angela...was out of the question. Maybe a new set of ears is what I need.

"And then-" I was cut off by my own blubber and tears.
"His mother told me all about the requirement.....And he said he loves me but I don't know Lydia, I don't know!", There I go again, hiccup after hiccup and wails of incoherence. Lydia gave me a sympathetic look as she rubbed my back and handed me more tissue. Good thing we're in the guest suite away from Iain and Lilli, I wouldn't want them to see me like this. What happened to the woman I use to be at the beginning of all this? The woman I use to be before all of this? I've completely changed! The old Aaliyah would never sit and cry about her situation, she would change it and if not change it then at least leave! What have I become..?

"Oh Lydia what should I do, ohh please tell me!", I felt a new waterfall of tears threaten to spill and I tried so hard to keep them, I did. I think my new batch of salt water made her just answer faster.

She grabbed my arms and held them tight, looking me in the eyes with a firm, stern stare.

"Do you love this man?!",

I replied shakily.

"Yes I do, but, but I-",

Lydia's grip tightened on my arms but it didn't affect me.

"No buts! No no. If you love this man, then you love him.", her thick Spanish accent dripped with every word she said.
"I have seen many women come and go, but you, they never stay as long as you, they never move in! They have sex and then they leave, how can you be so blind?! He love you! That contract was a bind of body, but this, this ring!",
Just then she grabbed my hand, making me look at the engagement ring I went through so much for. That Iain went through so much for.....
Then she continued.

"This is a bind of mind, and of spirit, it's on the vein connecting right to your heart, your heart young lady! He wants you in every way, if I had a man like that....well I wouldn't be here.", Giving out a hearty laugh, Lydia gently placed my hand down on my lap.

"I ..I",
I couldn't utter the words for everything she said was right, I felt it was and I had truly been foolish. Iain loves me...he's just complicated but so the hell am I.

"Go to him.",

And with Lydia's words, I did.

Running out of the guest room that we've been in for hours, I ran to Iain and I shared bedroom. My heart screaming his name the whole way there.