Horn Hill (Samwell Tarly x fem!reader)

You gazed at Samwell as he looked out the windows of the carriage. He was biting his plump bottom lip, something he did went he was nervous. You reached over and placed a comforting hand on his knee. He gave you a small smile and went back to staring out the tiny window as you rode into Horn Hill. "Sam, you mustn't worry so," you said softly. "You don't know my father, Y/N. He is not a kind man. He doesn't even want me home," your lover told you. "You've told me, love. I will be right there with you," you said giving his knee a loving squeeze before sitting back in your seat as the carriage pulled to a stop.

Sam took a deep breath and opened the door. He got out and offered you a hand to assist you down. Even as nervous as he was, Sam still behaved like the noble man he was brought up to be. A young lady came running down the steps of the castle and right into Sam's arms. "Talla!" he cried, wrapping his arms around the girl. When he let go, she took a step back and Sam said, "Look at you! You're nearly a woman now." Talla looked between her brother and you, prompting Sam to turn to you, a blush painting his cheeks.

"Sorry. Talla this is Lady Y/N. Y/N, this is my sister Talla." As soon as the words were out of Sam's mouth, Talla threw her arms around you as well. "It is so wonderful to meet you! Welcome to Horn Hill!" You chuckled at her energy. "Believe me, the pleasure is mine," you told her truthfully. From the picture Samwell painted of his father, you assumed his sister would be just as morose and grim as Randyll Tarly. You were wrong. "Samwell?" another feminine voice called out. The three of you looked up to see another woman coming down the steps. You were certain this was Sam's mother.

"Mother," you heard Sam whisper before he moved from your side to hug his mother. She greeted you very much the same way Talla had and immediately invited you in for supper, which took place when Randyll and Dickon arrived home from their hunt. Dinner was a tense affair. Silent except for the occasional question in your direction or a disparaging comment in Sam's from Randyll. You were seething by the time dinner was finished. You didn't care if the man was soon to be your goodfather, although he didn't know that yet, you hated him.

According to Randyll, Sam wasn't worthy of the Tarly name. He could do no right. The longer he spoke, the angrier you became. You did your best to bite your tongue for Sam's sake, but eventually you couldn't. "Lord Tarly, would it be possible for you to give your son one kind word?" you asked him pointedly, not taking your eyes off the lord of Horn Hill. The rest of the table went completely silent. "Y/N," you heard Sam whisper, but you were not going to back down.

"Samwell is the kindest man I have ever known. He is intelligent, generous and protective. He has saved my life more than once, even when it was my own stubbornness that put my life in danger in the first place. He never speaks out of turn and he has a wonderful capacity for love. You do not give him nearly enough credit!" You turned to look at Sam's mother and said, "Forgive my rudeness, Lady Tarly." She simply smiled and rose from her seat, urging you to do the same.

Meleesa lead you and Talla from the dining hall, but all three of you stayed by the door to listen to what Randyll would say to Sam. "How dare you bring that...woman to my table. She has no respect for this house." You balled your hands into fists, but made no move to interrupt. Then, the three of you heard something you never thought you'd hear. Sam stood up to his father. "Do not talk about Y/N that way! She is of noble birth and more importantly, she is the woman I love! I came back to tell you that I am going to marry her! She is to be your gooddaughter and I will not have you speak ill of her. We will be gone in the morning."

You heard the tell-tale sound of a chair being pushed back and the three of you scattered. You quickly made your way to the guest chambers that had been provided for you. It didn't take long for Sam to come knock and open the door. He was fuming, so you decided not to say anything for a minute. Once the red had vanished from Sam's face, you spoke. "I'm sorry, Sam. I didn't mean to make things worse." To your surprise, he laughed. You cocked your head to the side, unsure as to why he was laughing, but you just let him enjoy himself for a moment.

When he was finally finished, his mood turned serious and he asked, "Did you mean them? Those things you said about me?" You nodded and took a step closer to him. "Of course I did, Samwell. You know I never say anything I don't mean." He pulled you to him. You buried your face into the crook of his neck and inhaled the unique scent that was Sam, leather and old books. "Thank you, Y/N. No one has ever done that for me," he whispered. You gave him a squeeze. "I love you, Samwell Tarly and no one is going to speak to you that way, no matter who they are." Sam laughed and pulled away. "I love you, too. I just hope your family is as wonderful as you are." You kissed him and answered, "You make me happy. They are going to love you."

Q