Chapter 26 || Year 4

Draco's POV-

I stood a short distance back, far enough for them to not see me, but that I could still see and hear them. Hermione and Weasley were arguing, and Hermione had tears that were beginning to roll down her cheeks.

They continued fighting for another minute before Potter walked over, taking Weasley with him, and leaving a crying Hermione on the staircase by herself.

I inhaled a deep breath before walking over to her, my hands in the pockets of my dress pants.

"Granger." I acknowledged, stating my presence.

She looked up at me, wiping her cheeks with the back of her palm, then returned to the position she was in before.

"Are you just going to ignore me then?" I asked rhetorically, smirking slightly.

"What do you want Malfoy?" She replied, not looking up, her voice faltering.

I immediately wiped the smirk from my face and looked at her seriously, kneeling down next to her.

"Hermione, what did they do to you?" I whispered.

"Why do you care?" She said in a small voice.

"Because I don't like seeing you crying." I responded.

She let out a shaky breath as three more tears rolled down her cheeks. I put my hand up to wipe them away but she grabbed my wrist, stopping me.

"Ron hates me, just because I went to the ball with Victor. Harry didn't do anything to defend me either, and I feel as if everyone hates me now just because of Victor and I going to this stupid ball together." She sighed, trying to keep the tears at bay, but failing.

I brought both my hands up to her cheeks again - this time she didn't stop me - and gently wiped her tears away - this kind of affection I didn't know I could even perform.

"Potter and Weasley are gits, so don't worry about them." I told her.

She let out a small chuckle, shaking her head, "Easy for you to say, you all hate each other."

"Well you aren't wrong about that." I muttered.

A few minutes passed and the both of us just sat there in silence, watching some of the small group of remaining couples leave. I suddenly felt something warm grab my arm, sending sparks through my entire body.

"Thank you for staying with me." Hermione smiled, giving my hand a small squeeze.

"Have they told you yet how beautiful you look tonight?" I questioned seriously.

"N-no, they haven't." She responded, her face dropping slightly.

"Well I don't know why they haven't, because you were the most beautiful girl here tonight." I smiled.

She grinned and jumped forward, wrapping her arms around me, which I did back.

"Thank you." She mumbled into my shoulder.

I could hear the faint music coming from the hall, so I decided to stand up, bringing Hermione with me.

"Draco? What are we-"

I didn't let her finish her sentence, and instead began swaying with the beat, one arm around her waist and the other clasping her hand. I twirled her around, receiving a giggle to erupt from her.

We kept on dancing until the song ended, grins on both our faces. She rested her head against my chest whilst I stood there, holding her small body in mine.

I smiled to myself as I let the feeling I've been trying to ignore, the feeling that was trying to become evident all night, flow through me. At that moment, when I had my arms wrapped around around Hermione in a protective, caring way, I knew.