two

Rebekah parked in front of the plantation house, leaving another message for Elijah. Madison, who was inside, heard the car pull up and walked down the staircase warily.

"Elijah, if not answering your phone is part of your clever plan to get me back to this godforsaken city, then well done. I'm here, and I'm worried. Now pick up before I kick in your bloody door."

Rebekah walked up the front steps and opened the door as Madison came down the stairs, balancing a ball of flames on her hand with her magic.

"Who the hell are you?" Madison's eyebrows knitted together in confusion as she held up her palm in self defence.

"Oh, you must be the maid. My bags are in the car – get them, will you?"

Madison smiled a bit before closing her hand, extinguishing the flame.

"Hello. Not the maid."

"Right. You're that witch girl my brother, Klaus, knocked up. I was expecting to see some kind of supernatural, miracle baby bump. Guess you're not showing yet. It's Madison, isn't it?"

"You have your brother's manners," Madison mumbled.

"And his temper, too, so watch it," the blonde snapped. "Where's Elijah?"

"Beats me. He's long gone," she shrugged.

"What do you mean, 'long gone'?"

"Well, one minute he was here making epic promises about protecting me in this predicament that a bottle of scotch and some bad decisions got me into – he was all poetic about how we're family – and then Klaus told me he bailed," Madison smiled sarcastically. "Guess that's what I get for trusting a vampire."

"Elijah is not just any vampire, and he doesn't break promises. Which means Niklaus has done something dastardly and Klaus-like. Klaus!" Rebekah started yelling. "Get out here and tell me what you've done with our brother, you narcissistic, back-stabbing wanker!"

Klaus opened a pair of doors, walking into the room the two girls were in.

"Enough with all the shouting. Little sister, I should have known," Klaus smirked. "I assume the six dead vampires were your doing?"

"They were very rude," Rebekah remembered how she violently impaled the vampires with a pool stick. "Trying to victimize a poor, innocent girl just trying to find her way to the Quarter. So sorry, were they friends of yours? Oh, that's right, you don't have any friends."

"I do have friends. I have Marcel. You remember him, don't you? Yes, of course you do. He fancies himself the 'King of the Quarter' now, and he has these rules about killing vampires. It'll be fun to see what sort of punishment he comes up with for you," Klaus continued to tease his little sister.

"I don't care about Marcel or his rules. Elijah doesn't welch on deals. What did you do to him?" she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Perhaps he's on holiday... or taking a long autumn nap upstairs. Well, go on. Take a look around," she got up to leave. "You remember this house as well as I."

"I remember everything," Rebekah said, turning to face her brother.

"Your brother killed your boyfriend?" Madison furrowed her brow. "And he says I'm crazy."

"How did you know?" Rebekah's mouth was hanging open.

"Clairvoyant," she answered boredly.

"Well, he wasn't good enough for you," Klaus shrugged as Madison left the room.

"No one was ever good enough for me, Nik, you made sure of that. Now where is Elijah?" Klaus' phone started buzzing. He checked it, stood up and moved to leave, only to be stopped by Rebekah's voice. "Where are you going?"